• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Firefox 1.0 Final released

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I just copied out my profile section (extensions, etc) but I'm not sure if they'll all work with 1.0, so I tried to get to the update.mozilla.org site and it's crawling, and I can't even get to the extensions page.

Can anyone else not get to the extensions page?

Mikes95XLT said:
Can anyone else not get to the extensions page?
The update site is dealing with 3 - 4 times more traffic than it is used to. Don't worry though, a lot of extensions aren't working with 1.0 anyway. :-/

For most of them though its a simple 'max version' problem rather than actual incompatability. The extension author sets a variable within the extension that firefox looks at and rejects or accepts accordingly. So many extensions that are code functional with 1.0 are being artifically rejected.

EDIT - extensionsmirror.nl seems to be back up. Go to this thread for 1.0 compatible extensions and a guide for updating the problem with extensions I talked about above.

Last edited:
my mx700 works just fine, and thats with none of that logitech POS software installed to.

DayUSeX said:
my mx700 works just fine, and thats with none of that logitech POS software installed to.
I understand that it is popular to bash Mouseware but you can do one really cool thing with it; you can configure your mouse buttons to do whatever you want. As for its nebulous POSness, I've been using it for over a year without issue.

Anyway, here is the fix for the back/forward problem:

1) Install Mouseware. Check to see if back/forward works in Firefox after install, it might. If not continue.

2) Browse to Control Panel -> Mouse -> Buttons tab

3) Select the button you want to be forward in the scroll box then click modify. Select Keystroke. Click in the box then enter alt+right.

4) Select the button you want to be back in the scroll box then click modify. Select Keystroke. Click in the box then enter alt+left.

Another thing I find handy is mapping ctrl+w to the "quick switch" button (#8 on my MX500). So you can close tabs with the mouse as well.

I just started using 1.0 just now. Everything works great so far. All my extensions still work, didn't have to change anything.

Now my only question is this: With IE you have the option to delete all your temporary internet files, etc. I don't see this option with Firefox. How do I get rid of all my temp internet files and all that stuff? Is it stored in the same place as with IE? Also, with IE I was able to tell IE when I wanted a cookie to be placed and when to block them. Do I have this option with Firefox or do I need an extension?

Mikes95XLT said:
Now my only question is this: With IE you have the option to delete all your temporary internet files, etc. I don't see this option with Firefox. How do I get rid of all my temp internet files and all that stuff? Is it stored in the same place as with IE? Also, with IE I was able to tell IE when I wanted a cookie to be placed and when to block them. Do I have this option with Firefox or do I need an extension?
The option to delete the cache is available by going to:

Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Cache

Just click the clear button and it gets deleted. You can also configure how much disk space is used for cache here.

The default cache location is in your profile folder, which is located:

OS partition -> Documents and Settings -> your username -> Application Data (hidden folder) -> Mozilla -> Firefox -> Profiles -> random profile folder name

You can change the cache location in two ways. First you can use about:config.

Type about:config in the address bar -> Scroll down to "browser.cache.disk.parent_directory" -> Right click the entry & click Modify.

I have mine set to E:\firefox cache. Note that in about:config bold entries indicate non default values.

Alternatively you can this method to change the cache location:

install the chrome edit extension -> Go to Tools -> Edit User Files and add this to your user.js file:

// Path to Cache folder:
user_pref("browser.cache.disk.parent_directory","E:\\firefox cache");

In the location you want of course. You have to use double backslashes between directory levels with this method.

Regarding cookies, those controls are in the Options -> Privacy dialog as well. The UI for setting up exceptions looks similar to IEs although I've never used this functionality in either browser.

Gnerma said:
You can change the cache location in two ways. First you can use about:config.

Type about:config in the address bar -> Scroll down to "browser.cache.disk.parent_directory" -> Right click the entry & click Modify.
I don't have this entry... ?

Mikes95XLT said:
I don't have this entry... ?
Must be there in mine because I add it with user.js.

In about:config right click -> New -> String.

preference name = browser.cache.disk.parent_directory
string value = E:\firefox cache (or wherever you want it)

I added the entry, but it isn't storing it where I specified. It still sticks it in the Cache file under Application Data.

Mikes95XLT said:
I added the entry, but it isn't storing it where I specified. It still sticks it in the Cache file under Application Data.
Have you deleted the old cache folder, restarted the browser, then browsed around some? If its not working try the user.js method.

I am giving the browser a try now. I cant really seem to find any differences between Firefox & IE from a functionality standpoint.

Whats the big deal about the browser? I dont get it.

Gnerma said:
Have you deleted the old cache folder, restarted the browser, then browsed around some? If its not working try the user.js method.
Yep. I did both. Restarted the browser, added that entry to user.js, and still no go.

Could it be because I'm trying to store the cache in a hidden folder? The place where I'm trying to store it is C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files because I have Disk Cleanup set to automatically clean out that folder every week, and it would be nice to have my cache cleaned out without me having to worry about it.

That's the only reason. I don't know why it won't work. Maybe it's because of that.

richklein said:
I am giving the browser a try now. I cant really seem to find any differences between Firefox & IE from a functionality standpoint.

Whats the big deal about the browser? I dont get it.
Why Use Firefox?

The major advantages according to me are:

• Big #1 Superior security / no more malware (very useful for your families constantly infected box. My family used to to get their box extremely buggered in very little time. I switched them to Firefox 6 months ago and spybot has not found a thing since.)
  • Tabbed Browsing
  • Extensions
  • Themes (since they are built into the browser there is no performance hit like with using global windows themes)
  • High configurability
  • Find as you type (press the / key then type my username)
Even if these things don't excite you much I suggest you explore some of them and try the browser out of a couple weeks. You might be surprised how its various features expedite your browsing.

Mikes95XLT said:
... still no go ... Could it be because I'm trying to store the cache in a hidden folder? The place where I'm trying to store it is C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files ...
Okay so your user.js entry is exactly this:

// Path to Cache folder:
user_pref("browser.cache.disk.parent_directory","C:\\Documents and Settings\\Mike\\Local Settings\\Temporary Internet Files");

And you clicked save then restarted the browser? Does the new location show up in about:config? I don't think the problem has to do with it being a hidden folder since mine is hidden as well. Also, Firefox actually creates a folder called "Cache" within the location you specify. So my cache files are actually in "E:\firefox cache\Cache" maybe thats tripping you up.

Last edited:
Well I finally got it to work, but I found out that you actually can't put it in Temporary Internet Files, or any protected Windows folder for that matter.

I wanted the cache to automatically get cleaned on my weekly automated disk cleanup, but every folder in disk cleanup that I tried to stick the cache folder in, was a no go. But I could put it ANYWHERE else I wanted. How about that?

Thanks a lot for your help. I just left it where it was in the first place. 50MB isn't that much space at all for me to worry about.

mavphoto1 said:
Is there anything we can do to make it work with active x? Some sites just doesn't work!
No. There is nothing to be done about that. On the rare occasion I need to use an Active X site, I just dust off IE.

Mikes95XLT said:
...you actually can't put it in Temporary Internet Files, or any protected Windows folder for that matter.
You learn something new everyday.

Speaking of learning anew, I have another problem. Today I came back from class, and started up my comp, and tried to open Firefox, and it won't open. It opens up partly, like the browser opens, but no tabs show up, and I can't click on File, Edit, Bookmarks, anything like that. I don't know what's going on. I haven't changed anything at all.

This is how it sits, and I can't do anything to it. Just close it. Although, at first I tried to open a new tab, but nothing happened, but then when I went to close it it told me I was closing multiple tabs simultaneously, and did I want to do this. I'm lost.

Attachments

• firefoxprob.jpg
    firefoxprob.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
I think the problem is that your install is totally borked :D Not sure what would cause that but try a new profile first by deleting the directory in app data. I went over how to save bookmarks in a post earlier in the thread. If that does not work wipe Firefox completely then reinstall it.

Back