• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Changed cases = loud HDD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MonroeM

Hey everyone, I just recieved my Chenming full-tower server case (good LORD this thing is tall!) and seem to be having a problem.

When I turn my computer on, I can hear my primary (60gb Maxtor DMP9 IDE) click then spin... then click and spin again. It does it about three times and the computer boots up per usual.

The thing I noticed is it's a lot louder suddenly. I could never hear it in my Sonata case even w/ the door open and my ear right next to it and now it's really loud when seeking.

I was careful when I removed the HDDs and swapped cases... but I'm wondering if it somehow got tapped on just right.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Ok, I just noticed that my other hard drives are quite loud too. Could it be that I was using the Sonata's rubber grommets and I was used to the silence?

Hmm... ok, an update.

Some hard drives seem to be clicking on and off randomly... all of them are very loud. I'm going to shut everything down and install some rubber gromets. Maybe the HDD cages aren't grounded or something?

LOL, ok, so far I end up answering my own questions before anyone else has a chance too.

I found out what the problem was. Two of the little metal pieces of the I/O back panel were poking into the ports on the motherboard, one into the firewire port and another into the ethernet port, probably causing a power short (or some other problem) throughout the entire chassis, as the I/O panel is connected to the rest of the chassis once popped into the back.

Whew, thank God I caught it in time, it probably could've fried my entire system. My hard drives are back to normal! w00t!

Back