• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How significant is the jump from 2.6 to 2.7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jackrungh

Ive 512 of kingston valueram 2x256 dual channel 3200, and of course hit a bottle neck with 2.5-2-2-11 around the high 180's. Do i not need to be worrying about upping the voltage until ive gone past 200, or are voltage changes on ram not as serious as i once thought?

Last edited:
Don't know what vdimm you are currently using, but the last time I was testing out some KV PC2700 (which should be very similar to your PC3200), I was able to hit a max stable speed of 225 FSB (DDR450) using 2.7v and 2.5-4-4-7 timings. It does DDR434 speed (217 FSB) at 2.6v and 2.5-3-3-6 timings I would say that vdimm up to 2.8v is probably pretty safe as long as you have decent case ventilation.

Last edited:
I do have ample ventilation, and its an NF7-S so I reverted to the 11 from precedent. Also im at 2.6v now. After I hit that wall I set to 2.5-3-3-11 and now im fully stable (prime) at 200x10, which will be my launching point for further OC. My plan now is to go down to 5X and hike fsb until it wont handle it any longer. For 2x256 PC3200 Kingston ValueRam is there a reported high fsb record? What should I be expecting. My thoughts center on 220-230 and probably nothing more. Is this correct?

Would you guys say that direct, intentioned, non-passive ram cooling should be employed if one were to go 2.8?

One final question, was there a concensus on whether it is safe to leave L12 up to Merin and TicTac, or does one need to actually pin it as well?

Thanks, sorry about the common questions.

Last edited:
I have used 2.8v on Kingston Value RAM and Hyperram PC4200 (both of which do not have heatspreaders). I never had any problem. How high the KV RAM will go depends on what chips it has. If you are really lucky and have Hynix D43 chips, then I've seen them go to 266 FSB. The run of the mill stuff will probably only do 220 to 230 like you said. But, I'm used to dual channel Intel systems which are harder to O/C RAM.

Back