• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ok how does this setup sound?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ub3r-L33ch

Case: Cooler Master Stacker
Pump: DD 12V D4
Radiator: Thermochill HE120.2 or Black Ice Extreme II (Whats better?)
Reservoir: 5 1/4" Bay
Tubing: ClearFlex 60
Hose Clamps: Plastic (where can I get metal, does it matter?)
CPU Block: DD RBX
NB: Maze4 Chipset
GPU: Swiftech MCW50 with 6800GT Adapter

A couple things I'm trying to locate:
Some kind of water additive
Long enough screws to mount 120mm fans on radiator
5 1/4" Floppy Drive Adapter

Please let me know if something looks sub par in this setup or if there's something better I can do. It sounds like the pump would work well enough but I dont know if it will be good enough with 3 blocks... if I need something better let me know. I like the fact the pump is powered by the PSU and I wont need a relay but thats not necessary if a better pump is needed. I also like that it can be controlled via a fan controller.

I'm still doing research and looking around at prices but I still need some help with a few things as you can see.

the pump is one of the best overall on the market so stick with that... this setup is like mine in my stacker.
i would suggest the poly res by swiftech since you can just hide it behind one of the front stacker covers. you can get metal clamps at home depot or i hear a auto shop will have the thin metal ones.
screws you can get at home depot
water additives depend on what you want in your water and color... swifty's hydrex is green and useful. A lot of people use the 90/10 distilled water antifreeze mix which does the same as the hydrex.

why do you want the 5 1/4" floppy drive adapter? your stacker should have come with 2 sets.

There are better blocks than the RBX, like a whitewater, a G4 or the swiftech 6002. I think that the thermochill is a better performer compared to the blackice, but I'm not sure.

Well I havent ordered any of this yet so I didnt know that the case came with the 5 1/4" adapter... good to know thanks :)

Gongo what reservoir are you suggesting? It would be different than the DD 5 1/4" bay reservoir? ... or are you saying the one you mentioned wouldnt have to take up another slot?

So the pump is good enough to use with three water blocks then? I wont have any problems using the Thermochill radiator? Is this GPU block good or is there something better around the same price range? ... I'm not worried about watercooling the RAM chips.

What would be the best CPU block to get? ... one that can be used on a S939 later.

Ok so I did some more digging and it looks like the LR White Water would be a better choice than the DD RBX ... it also looks as if its better than the swifttech 6002... the G4 and G5's arent available at this time from what I can tell.

For additive, just use distilled water and a little antifreeze. All you want to do is keep the floaties and clouded water out of your flow and scum from building up on the inside of your tubes. Cheap antifreeze does the trick nicely. Just find a color you like. Green... green... or green... I suppose you could use some food coloring, but I think that will make it a nasty brown color in most instances.

if i were u i would get rid of the northbridge waterblock cause its not really that needed and if u are going to use it on the nf7-s good luck making those bends. also with the money u save from that u could trade in the swiftech block for silverprop copper/brass 1/2'' gpu block.

If you decide to use the 10/90 Antifreeze/Distilled (or better) Water mix I would suggest adding something for anti-growth. It seems that the low toxicity type (environmentally friendly) of antifreeze- Propylene Glycol based. It seems that the Ethylene Glycol based antifreezes are a bit rough on the tubing over time. I am basing this on what people have posted, not personal experience.

You can drop by a waterbed store and get the anti-growth additive they suggest for waterbeds and simply figure out the corrrect amount by proportion. The solution I use is simply getting Iodine from a local pharmacy and adding 2 teaspoons to the coolant. There of course are other options but these seem to work quite well at avoiding having clouds of crud circulating through the system.

***EDIT***

For connecting the fans/shroud/radiator here is a nice little product-

Becooling.com's fan connecting offering

Last edited:
I wouldent get the rbx bet good 2 barb block like the 6002 or tdx. You dont really need a cipset block just more retriction and money. butt that is a great pump case and vid card block. you would alo be better off buying a heater core and get the mtal clamps they work better.

well DD sells 2 types of res.. the poly res and the acrylic res. both will fit in the 5 1/4 bay. however if you want to show off your res like a uv type thing, you would have to go with the acrylic which pose more of a leak problem than the poly. I would suggest the poly with the stacker because the stacker has the removable front filter/bay covers that you can just stick on and hide the poly res (i think)

As far as I can tell those are the same case but they have a different color scheme. There's a guy over at hardocp that mounted his dual heatercore in the bottom front... if thats where you are talking about:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=810041

I havent fully decided yet where I'm going to put mine... I'm not totally sure I'm going to get this case yet either, but I dont think there's any other case out there that will hold everything so I think I have no choice...

If I did get it I'd have to see if a top mount can be done without too much work, if not I'll have to mount it like that guy did with his, and I'll have to move the HDD cage to the bottom like he did also.

Back