• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

read this please, thank you.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eobard

Give me a break Senior
I asked this before and got nothing so I'm putting it up again: Can anyone explain to me, or at least provide a link, about what I need to do and how I need to do it so I can mod my DVD. I'm more interested in cooling it than looking at the disk spinning insde the machine. I've a sony DDU1211, its a tray system, not a slot.

Don't know of anyone that's tried it yet. Bets thing I can think of is to cut a hole in the UNDERSIDE of the DVD, and bolt a fan on to draw hot air out of it. You could also try making a duct of some sort, to keep from blowing hot air onto your HDD, any other CDROMS you may have. In any case keep us posted on what you find/come up with.

I once saw a picture of a case modded so the disk could be seen spinning inside (the case top had a glass window too) but no info on just where to cut and where not to cut was given. I don't want to put a hole in an unsafe place and have stray lazer beams blinding my cat.

I've seen pics where people added windows to them. As far as mounting a fan on it to draw hot air out. You could be drawing in a lot of dust thru it. Which could cause you some grief.

Most CDRWs have a little 40mm square fan in the back sucking air out, with little tiny holes drilled in the front.

I bet you could do that with a DVD-ROM with a little effort. Just Open the thing up and have a look at whats inside . . .

Last edited:
Thanks but the article implies that the mod is good for slot DVD's not tray ones. Still it gives me some information which is a lot more than I started with. Do you know of any other links?

I'll search around a bit, might be able to take apart an RMA drive at work, and see if it's feasible to do it with the tray type roms. Best thing to do would be to actually take your particular drive apart, and see what you can do with it. If you can post some pics of the drive taken apart, the guys will most likely be able to give you more detailed suggestions on what could or could not be done.

Last edited:
Back