• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help really needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chief

Have a xp home box running an Aopen ax37 plus mobo in raid1.Bios see's everything correctly and so does windows.Problem is the floppy/dvd/cdrom do not read any data at all.The raid is setup on the raid connectors and the dvd/cdrom on ide 2 (tried 1 and 2) one master and one slave.I have tried all all sorts of combinations with the roms as far as jumper and cable settings and new ide cable and even tried a single rom but nothing.The cdrom spins up then seems to stop and the dvdrom pretty much does the same.Not new to pc's but new to raid.Any ideas why they can't read but are installed correctly and the roms do work in other pc's?Second question is I might just revert this back to standard ide arrangement and if I do can I just unplug the drives from raid and plug one into the ide 1 and be good to go or will I have to reinstall windows again?

have you tried different IDE cables?
is there any problems shown in device manager?

I would find it hard to believe that your RAID setup is to blame.

Strange
Could be that the cable is not with the blue end in the MB connector and you are jumped for CS, but I doubt it. It could be the PSU, not enough juice and when you added the second drive into raid that taxed it out. But I dont know. Have you looked at the logs and the device manager for these. My guess is that it is related to XP and a reinstall is going to be needed. Rclick on my computer then manage and look at the event and application logs in the event viewer and the device manager under properties for each drive and for the IDE ATA/ATAPI properties, check out disk management under storage.

On the RAID you can not do what you want if you are running RAID0 which I would guess is what you have. With 0 you write interleaved and would need to do a new install.

Edit just noticed the floppy part. Have you tried disconnecting the floppy and then booting and seeing what you get. It could be a bent pin in the floppy connector, or the floppy cable in really wrong. Backwards will usually give a sustained floppy lite.

No problem devices at all in bios or windows.I have tried every combination of configuration I can think of.New cables,jumper settings,ide 1 and 2 connectors and tried running just a single cdrom drive.Every combo I do the bios and windows see's it correctly and the drives spin up but will not read any data.I tried the drives on another pc and they work.Tried system restore back to a few weeks ago with same issue.Also set bios to default settings with same results.I was thinking maybe the ide channels are wacked.It has two 30gig drives running off the raid connectors and they work fine.If I disconnect the raid1 setup and connect one of the hd's in a standard ide arrangement will I have to reinstall xp which was installed while it was in a raid1 arrangement?

Back