• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

spraypainting....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

a_yeap

Registered
Would it be possible to spraypaint the exterior of plastic objects such as Floppy Disk Drives and *MONITORS* in a metallic silver/gold/blue colour so that it matches the cases...

or would there be major complications...

and if anyone has tried it before, please post to tellus about how you did it or if you had any troubles...

thanks a lot

ps...is it possible to cut holes (for fans etc) in the front bevelling of non-aluminium cases...ie plastic bevels...

You can cut a hole in almost anything. You just need the right tool.

To paint my drives, I removed the faceplates (and drawers in the case of CD drives) and painted them. After the paint dried, I put them back in place.

Painting the monitor.

Should be the same maybe some masikingtape and paper on the
glass as far as if you paint the hole thing, Vents too, You may need to disasemble it.

Something as big as a monitor you should sand lightly first. To give a surface the paint can adhere to. Or you can get a primer specifically designed for plastics. I used a automotive plastic primer for the front of my case. I think the company that made it is called "Mar-Hyde". Been meaning to get it back from my brother so I can paint my monitor as well.

its kinda hard to paint a monitor
and dangerous to take the cover off and touch something
masking tape outta work

phiber said:
its kinda hard to paint a monitor
and dangerous to take the cover off and touch something
masking tape outta work

Just watch what you touch. That coil can stay energized for years, and can maim, if not kill.
Just a tip

i know that the capacitors in a monitor pack a hell of a punch, try wearing some welding gloves or something, even rubber gloves would be better than nothing, and a big rubber matt under your feet, and dont touch anything that could ground yourself... that way there is almost NO way you can get shocked

I have stripped down a REALLLL old monitor and painted it up once... Its not really that hard. Basiclly just take the back of, paint it the color you want (Also presuming that you sand and prime yada yada yada) then as you disconnect the tube from the front cover its easiest -at least for me it was- To just pull the tube back from the front face plate just enough to get a gap inbetween the two... Then mask the tube off with some tape - cover it completely - then push the tube back against the front plate and then sand it - prime it - paint it - wait for it to dry then remove... simple enough... once all thats done put it together - take a few pics and post 'em so we can see your handy work!!!

hope I was of some help....

I painted my monitor this spring. I didnt have any problem because it has a metal cage around the tube so its kinda hard to touch anything. Just be careful, i really dont want to read about you in a newspaper.

I've also painted my monitor, I just put apiece of paper over the glass and masking taped to the very edge.... be VERY careful to get the masking tape all the way over, I had a very very slight lip (less than 1/64") and you could tell as soon as you turned it on. However a razor blade fixed that. Just be careful, and the end result is WELL worth it...

Crazy Jayhawk said:
It'd probably be pretty simple to open up the monitor's casing and paint it without any of the hardware inside.

i have dome this 3 times, and i have found the best way to do it is to take the monitor apart paint it, then put ia back together, use some samn paper first, just to rough up the surface a bit

Thanks for all the advice...

Except now I'm quite skeptical whether this whole thing is worth it...its just a monitor and I'd rather live with the ugliness than not live at all...:D

That said, I'm still thinking...and one day, when I really can't stand the colour any more

Back