• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much are YOU paying for AS5?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I buy much of my components from this site, its $8 there.

Conversely... It may seem too good to be true, but here is an unbelieveable deal on AS5 3.5.
If its a hot ticket thats where I will replace my AS5 from now on. :thup:

If I remember correctly, didn't it turn out that the OCZ stuff was bs? Or was that just a bad batch? Oh well, I order AS5 at cost for >$4.00/3.5grams :p

consumer9000 said:
If I remember correctly, didn't it turn out that the OCZ stuff was bs? Or was that just a bad batch? Oh well, I order AS5 at cost for >$4.00/3.5grams :p
OCZ3 was bad. It was outsourced any they were unaware of the fact that it didn't have silver in it.

So they replaced it with OCZ5 which conincidently is the same as AS5.

To clear up the OCZ issue, it was OCZ Ultra 2 Silver compound that did not contain any silver.

I use OCZ Ultra 2 despite the fact that it never contained any silver. I am happy with it considering I got it for free.

Keep in mind the bad OCZ Ultra 2 without silver STILL PERFORMED COMPARABLY TO AS3!!

OCZ Ultra 5+ was introduced shortly after OCZ Ultra 2 was exposed. OCZ's manufacturure was the one that goofed. That is why they now use Arctic Silver.

Yes, OCZ Ultra 5+ is Arctic Silver in an OCZ package.

Anyway, I figured it couldn't hurt to post a link to that Newegg page as I think people are getting ripped off with 3.5gram tubes of Arctic Silver 5 when they can buy the exact same thing for half the price in a different tube or get roughly 3-4 times more for only a dollar extra.

look at the shipping costs

newegg:
3.5 g - $12.00 + free s/h = $12.00
12g - $13.00 + $5 s/h = $18.00

still overpriced, but makes a little more sense than comparing just the price

3.5g tube is $7.99 at Fry's Electronics... ridiculously overpriced. Like paying $2.49 for a Red Bull, or worse yet, Red Bull and Vodka at any bar is $7 for 1/3 a can of Red Bull, $0.02 in ice, and $0.50 in Vodka (cheapy vodka, and only about one or one and a half shot mixed)....... and most places dont even use RedBull, they use a cheaper alternative.... I love being ripped off for cheap almost useless items.....

-Frank

zip22 said:
look at the shipping costs

newegg:
3.5 g - $12.00 + free s/h = $12.00
12g - $13.00 + $5 s/h = $18.00

still overpriced, but makes a little more sense than comparing just the price

True, but still, the 3.5 vs. the 12 was just a secondary comparison. My main point was people who buy 3.5gram (or even 12 gram) tubes of Arctic Silver might be paying more than they have to as there are cheaper solutions like OCZ Ultra5+ out there that are the same exact thing.

With the OCZ and shipping, it ends up being 9 dollars and 80 cents. Still cheaper than getting the AS5.

*At newegg. I am using them as an example as many people shop there.

I got my AS5 and Ceramique for free :D :p

Here's the story.... I live 30 min from their office and I emailed them asking if they sold any Arctic Silver 5 there. A guy named Colin Thompson replied back telling me no they didn't sell any there but if I stopped by he'd give a tube for free. I showed up there and said that I was told that I could pick up a tube for free. The guy I told was Colin himself and he said "oh you must be SnowRider" he remembered my name and my email so that was pretty cool. I went into his office (the whole place wasn't more than 4 offices) and we talked about lots of computer stuff like what I wanted to use it for (I told him watercooling), about different cooling projects he'd done, and he even reffered me to these forums and procooling forums for more info! In the end he gave me a tube of AS5 and Ceramique for free. That's good customer service for ya!

True story and that's how originally joined these forums :D

Thanks again Colin!!!!!!

Back