• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Copying HD to a new HD.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tacoman667

Is there a way to copy my entire drive including bootable OS from one HD to another? I want to put in a new HD in my laptop but not reinstall everything. TIA.

DuckDodgers said:
Do the hard drives need to be the same size, same partitions, etc.?

With Ghost (the one that comes with System Works Pro 2K3), the size of the drive won't matter. But, your partitions will be re-sized percentage wise to the capacity of the new drive. I'm not too sure if this is the case with the actual version of Ghost (current version is 9).

Example: you have a 10 gig drive partitioned into two. A 2 gig partition, and an 8 gig partition. You ghost onto a new 20 gig drive. The new drive will now have a 4 gig partition and a 16 gig partition.

Regarding this, its a laptop how does he do it???
May make a backup drive for mine if its easy enough???

couple of different ways to clone a laptop drive.

1 If laptop has 2 modular bays one of the bays can probably be used to house the 2nd drive with the proper enclosure.

2 Can use a laptop to ide inteface and install the drives in a desktop to clone.

3 Can use an external USB 2.5 hdd enclosure to house the 2nd hdd. The key with this setup is that the cloning software must be able to support USB in DOS mode. Do not have experience with Ghost but, I believe the latest Ghost version will support USB in DOS. Also Apricorn's "EZ Gig" works really well, have used it many times with good success.

Andy

I have successfully used a program, called PCI Clonemaxx, to do exactly this thing.

I was installing a larger HDD, in my brother's IBM T20. Changed from a 12 GB, to a 30 GB. I used a IDE adapter, and the program, which runs off of a floppy, in some kind of DOS. I put the old lappy HDD in, and hooked a spare HDD, on the other IDE cable. The program copied everything over, completely. I then put the new HDD in, and copied right back.

His lappy works just exactly the same, but has more storage.

And, yes. I have a backup, for him, if he ever needs it.

PCI Clonemaxx was available for free, from the 'net. Google for it.

steve

Back