• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sid Meier's Pirates! gone gold

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Lat said:
2 more days! :drool:

c'mon guys, lets get some more hype going here! :santa:

No. :D

But its definately a good game and i used to play it alot back in the early 90s. I think i'll rent it first and see how it is and then decide whether to buy it or not.

Thats cause... i dont trust sequels... ;)

I'd say it would run just fine, it's not very demanding, but still looks good. The minimum Video requirement is "64MB Windows HardwareT&L-compatible SVGA Video Card".

So, to those of you who have it already, how is it?

I'm going to pick up a copy when I swing through civilization later this week.

nihili said:
So, to those of you who have it already, how is it?

I'm going to pick up a copy when I swing through civilization later this week.
I am enjoying it a lot. It is very original and different from any game I've ever played. It is very entertaining and has a classic feel to it, its lots of fun. :thup:

Quick review to those interested:

I'm playing this game now and it is original and pretty fun. But its very easy once you know how to play and rather short. I completed all the quests and basically beat the game (you get to choose when youre done, it never truly ends until you die of old age) in about 8 hours on one of the harder difficulties.

The hardest part of the game to me was the romance. You need to dance by hitting keys at the appropriate times when the girl gives hand signals. It is really frustrating because 1 wrong step sets you back quite a lot. And 2 wrong steps and you failed to impress her. This is Dance Dance Revolution meets 17th century dancing. Its hard because sometimes her hand signals look very similar and she does them so fast, missed steps are easy to get.

One thing I find fun is the choice of boats. There are huge war ships like the Flag Galleon with 40 gun and 300 man capacity. And there are little Indian War Canoes with 8 cannons and 75 men. But whats fun is playing with the little war canoes and doing donuts around the war ships hammering away with your 8 little guns. If youre real good at dueling, just ram enemy ships right at the start of a fight and take out their captain. But I like sinking the enemy ships just by gunning them to pieces.

Dueling is simple, and rather disappointing. There are maybe 8 different dueling scenes which are fun the first time, but after you do each of them 20 times each you wonder why the hell they couldnt make it random or at least add some more. Even the 9 notorious pirates share the same 3 scenes. Other than that its basically a paper scissors rock game with the 3 different attacks. And there are also 3 different blocks to counter each of those attacks respectively. You can also taunt but it always ends up with them getting a free hit against you unless youre playing on the easiest of difficulties.

Another aspect of the game I really like is the politics, but it definitely needs some work. There are 4 nations at times all at war with one another. When you sink boats of one nation, the enemy nations love you and reward you with ranks and eventually land. The problem with this system is there is really no penalty for sinking the boats, only rewards. The governor of the nation whos boats you sank will mention the king wont be pleased, but they never actually do anything about it. At one point I sunk 20-30 French boats, and drove by a French harbor, and it fired on me. But after that I talked to the governor and he promoted me because while doing so I also sank a few English boats. I also have no idea why Portugal is not one of the nations seeing how important and powerful their navy was in the 16th and 17th centuries.

Overall this is a pretty good game, but I don't think its even close to worth the full price. If you want to try it out, wait till its in the $20 range (which I doubt will take long).

Rocko[DPC] said:
I'm playing this game now and it is original and pretty fun. But its very easy once you know how to play and rather short. I completed all the quests and basically beat the game (you get to choose when youre done, it never truly ends until you die of old age) in about 8 hours on one of the harder difficulties.
I don't know how you beat a campaign in 8 hours. . . did you do everything on your Status page? I've logged about 20 hours and I'm not even half way done with the status page. It really depends on the way you play the game, I guess, what year did you retire in?

The thing I think is the biggest letdown about this game is the fact that it's extremely repetative. Every thing you do is exactly the same as the last, it might have different music, or a different deck you're fighting on. But in the end, every town, battle, and ball are exactly the same. What a letdown.

Leviathan41 said:
I don't know how you beat a campaign in 8 hours. . . did you do everything on your Status page? I've logged about 20 hours and I'm not even half way done with the status page. It really depends on the way you play the game, I guess, what year did you retire in?

I completed everything on the status page except 8/10 romance and I didn't get Duke for all the nations. I think I was Baron for the Dutch and English, one below Baron for the French, and Duke for Spanish. Found all the buried treasures, killed all the other pirates, found the 4 cities. I started on Adventurer difficulty and moved to Rogue very early on. When I ended I was 42 years old in failing health, which is why I called it quits. I couldn't beat anyone in duels anymore, not even the annoying bar captains.

But yea it does depend how you play the game. I found it boring to just sail around trading and sinking the same ships over and over, so I primarily just followed the quests. Most of the buried treasures, lost cities, and relatives, I was able to find without complete maps.

Ohh and I also did this all with the ship I started with, a Spanish Pinnace. The ship you use will definitely change how long the game takes you since using a big Flag Galleon takes about an hour just to sail across the map. The Pinnace class takes 5 mins and sails just as fast into the wind. I spent a long time looking for a Mail Runner but never found one. The only part I used another ship for was killing the evil Marquis because I couldn't win the land battle with only 90 men, so I had a Flag Galleon with 300 more in my fleet.

Back