• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I am about to switch to cable..should I do it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CordialSpam

I'm currently using Earthlink basic DSL line, with an average dl speed at 1m (rated as 1.5m) and uploading rate at 128k (about 20kb/sec) and I pay $50 a month for it..

The reason why I'm switching is because recently my DSL modem has been crashing, aka "lost sync" or something..it does that every 10-30 minutes or so..and it really pisses me off because I play games online everyday..it has been doing this for a week or so..and I have no paitent to wait. I just recently bought a wireless MX Duo set I wonder if this is realted...I've moved the modem all over the place and it does not work.

Comcast has this regular cable internet set for $19 a month for first 6 month and $47 a month thereafter. (for comcast cable TV customer only) should I do it? I think without this "sync lost" problem it is still a great deal at lesser price. Any know any other good cable company? The comcast cable is rated at 3m dl and 256k upload, not 100% sure about the upload speed tho.

Last edited:
I say ... YES SWITCH to cable ASAP !!!

I used to have Earthlink DSL 128/1500 (Verison) myself for 3 1/2 years and was happy with it for most of the time . Later down the road (3rd yr) my connection was incredibly slow and never improved (along with another price increase). Verison and Earthlink both said the slow down was software related on my pc , which was BS . Both Verison and Earthlink were just passing the buck and did not admit to capping my DSL some more . My dsl speeds had decreased by 75% of its original 128/1500 with no let up in sight , and this was a consitant loss of speed not just intermittent !
Finally I could take no more of this crappy speed , and it costing $50 a month to boot ; so I swithed to cable in a flash .
I used Altrionet.net cable in Pasadena Calif and was VERY happy , but have since (recently) moved 80 miles away and now use Comcast . So far I could not be happier with Comcast ; thier speeds are nice and pretty consistant (256/3000+) . So again I say ..... go with cable and dont look back . :D
Look for Comcast deals at Bestbuy or Circuitcity so you can get a free modem (Motorola SB5100 ) after rebates . The SB5100 is a GREAT modem and comes highly recommended by many , including myself .

Good luck ... :)

Last edited:
Yes ,do it it is faster and comcast is good. Also they will bargain; talk em down.

comcast? thats basically the same company as optonline right? if this is true go with it. I currently have optonline, i dunno what i pay per month but its def faster then dsl.

Yes go with cable that is unless you have a lot of people using it on your node...but twice the bandwidth for less money sounds like a no brainer to me...hehehe

I have Comcast and LOVE IT! Comcast was only going to give me 3 months at $19.99.

I went to Best Buy and they sold me Comcast with 6 months at $19.99. A free modem. A $50 gift card. A free self install kit.

Shop around. It can make a difference.

Thanks guy I will be switching to Comcast cable if bestbuy has this first 6 months for 20 deal and free modem, i'm going to do it.

Btw right now earthlink's DSL line = 3M dl and 256k upload..I think that is their new line and it is only $40 a month, I pay $50 a month for this crap and it is 2x slower than their new line..wtf is wrong with that? I think they recently upgraded their line but they still give me the slower line..I've been using earthlink for 2-3 years now..you know if I call them they'll be able to switch my line to their current faster one and even cheaper?

If they have the line available tell them thats what you want or you are switching providers. They will probably try and keep you as a customer. That may be the way to go as you probably will have a dedicated IP address and, depending on the line, will not be shared like cable.

sorry cox cable is by far the best.

512k up 5mb down

i dont think that can be beaten for how it costs....
they are amazing. it used to be only 256k up 3.5 down

they UPGRADED FOR FREE !!!

LOVE YOU COX !!

Go with cable, simply because of how they run their lines and headends compared to DSL. DSL gives you slow speeds based on the structure of how it is set up. I don't recall the specifics, but it will drain faster connections so that those in outlying areas can get faster speeds.

Cable (at least in our state, not sure about other areas, may be true too...)
There are not enough cable users in the area to slow down the connection. If it is slow, most likely a hardware/ connection-to-backbone problem, and they will most likely have techs on it (or they should)

i've been wanted to get cable internet access also. out of curiosity, what do i need to do to get it working? i was spoiled by college. all i had to do was plug my lan cable into the wall and the internet appeared like magic :p

I'm about to switch but I have few problems here.

First my room does not have any cable coming in so I will have to extend the line from somewhere else or move the cable modem to somewhere with cable avaliable and I would just buy some extened ethernet cable and hook that up to my routher. But my cousin said our house has bad cable signal or something....will that effect my cable internet line? I hope it does not effect the coneciton speed by lots..

It might , in my area the cable man will come over and adjust the signal. I have cox, they do a good job.Use the direct connection, no splitters or u might have to reset the modem often.

They generally do the signal adjustment and maybe 1 additional outlet with the install. I agree, do NOT use splitters. They inherently have a level of signal degredation, and they are made of materials that do corrode over time, so your splitter (and your cable connection) will be shot in a year or so when the splitters go.

If you want, ask the tech for Transmit power, Downstream Power, Upstream Power, Upstream Signal-to-Noise Ratio, and Downstream Signal-to-Noise ratio. Really, you should ask him if anything is marginal. He may blow off low levels, but if you can't get him to tweak it more, post the marginal reading here, and I can look into whether it really IS a concern, or not.

talk to earthlink about upgrading to the new service (3mb/256) that is what i did when qwest upgraded and did not tell me about it i got double the speed for the cheaper price and i like my dsl better than comcast because of the upload rate (856kb baby :attn: )

just my .02

Back