• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Celeron D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chief

I haven't kept up on cpu's lately and need some info.I am throwing together a cheap box using a SOYO "SY-P4RC350" ATI 9100 IGP Chipset Motherboard For Socket 478 (reason being it was free) and am looking at a celeron 2.4.Just wondering what the word is on the celeron D's over the celerons?

The Celeron D's were Prescotts that had no HT and used the 533FSB instead of the 800FSB. I thought they also had 512kb in cache versus the normal Pressy 1mb of cache.

Generally speaking, they were still slower than a 2.4ghz Northwood, but not nearly so bad as the older celerons. They will usually overclock pretty good too.

Actually, the Celeron D has 256k cache. Make sure that Soyo mobo will support the Prescotts before you buy a CPU. If you plan to do more than a modest O/C, you might need better cooling.

The Celeron D (Prescott)is a good value low end processor, and its performance is 15-40% better than an equivalently clock Celeron (Northwood).
In real life benchmarks, it outperforms the AMD Sempron, except for the 3100+(which has a much superior core to all of the other Semprons)
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/sempron.html

I've built a few Celeron D's for people lately, and they are very good overclockers.
e.g.
Celeron D 320 (2.4G, C0 stepping) o/c to 3.1G, stock fan & voltage. Underload temperature about 51C, in low ambient room.
Celeron D 320 (2.4G, D0 stepping) o/c to 3.5G, stock fan & voltage. Underload temperature about 50C, in low ambient room.
Celeron D 330 (2.66G, C0 stepping) o/c to 3.4G, stock fan & voltage. Underload temperature about 51C, in low ambient room.

They are also very, very good for video encoding MPEG2s.(for DVD)

See:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/celeron-d.html

Page 13 gives you the run down on video encoding.

Cooling is not a big issue with Celeron Ds even though they're Prescott based. It is probably due to the fact that the cache is only 25% the size of a P4 Prescott, at 256K vs 1M. The stock heatsink is also a good quality unit with a copper core.
D0 stepping Celeron D appears to be have slightly better thermal and moderately better O/Cing ability. I had the Celeron D 320 2.4G, D0 stepping running at 3.6G (800MHz fsb) but it was giving errors in Prime95 about every 15-40 iterations. (which was not bad, but not fault free) A voltage tweak or more extreme cooling may fix this.

Last edited:
Back