• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The better pump

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What do you want? Are you looking for really good preformance, or decent preformance and dead silence? The D4 emits a high pitched whine, and while some find it to be very annoying, I dont find it that bad. However, the eheim 1250, while less powerful and larger, is dead silent, you will not be able to hear it at all. It depends on what fans you are using, so you might or might not be able to hear either pump over them. Also, the D4 connects via molex plug, so it shuts on and off with your computer. The 1250 nowever, is an AC pump, so it plugs into the wall. You could get a relay switch so it shuts on and off with your computer, but this really isnt necessary, and is just one more thing in your computer that could fail on you.

So if you want preformance, get the D4, if you want silence, get the 1250

Also, check www.resellerratings.com for that site, see what kinda reviews it got.

basicly the 2 things used to measure how powerful a pump is are its head and its flow. The head measures how far the pump could shoot if there was 0 resistance. So the D4 can shoot about 10 feet if there is no resistance, while the 1250 has about 6.5 feet of head. However, your water cooling loop will have plenty of restriction, so 10 is a lot more than 6.5. Also, the flow rate is literally how many gallons per hour the pump can put out. Its not neraly as important as the head though, and the flow of both pumps would be fine for any loop (unless your running it with a whole lot of blocks and rads).

ModdingXtremist said:
what do you mean by more head?
The ability to raise a certain amount of water in the air (usually in feet). Usually it's a way to measure how powerful a pump is.

The more head the better. Head is great! :santa:

greenman100 said:
Close, but not quite.

Head measures how high a pump could push a column of water in a tube (or a tank, it doesn't matter.)

isnt that what I said? Hmm...i guess I was a little unclear, but thats what I meant. Either way, the 0 resistance thing is right ;)

Back