• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

120g SATA Problem, cant figure out.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oc jason

Ok so yesterday morning my PC was on before work and did a few things, burned a CD etc etc, shut it off to go to work. Come home from work and get "BOOT DISC ERROR, PLEASE INSERT DISC AND, etc etc" so im like WTF M8, anyhow I try SATA2 plug and no go, also I notice one of my optic drives are also not showing up in BIOS, and when I hit the eject button it does nothing, so i assume no power or a bad ps or something, I unplug both failing drives and replug them in, optic drive is fine as is my dvdrw drive, yet my HDD still will not show up, wont load an OS nor will it see it in BIOS, and as far as I can tell its not even getting power, I cant feel it spinning and when I put my ear to it, I hear nothing.

Now I take it to work (Bestbuy / GeekSquad) and try various things, new SATA cord - nope, new Molex/SATA power adapter - nope, new PS - nope. I then take my HDD out to a floor model PC that is for sale yet uses SATA inside, hook my HDD up to it and same "BOOT DISC ERROR msg" , at this point im pretty sure the HDD is fried for good, now I put it back in a test right and fire it up, I laid my hand on the back of the drive and low and behold it IS getting power I can tell from the near burn of my hand on one of the chips, so the HDD is getting power but I swear its not spinning up bc I think id hear something wouldn't I ?

Also I took the 80g IDE HD out of this backup box that im on right now and slapped it in there alone, and it also has problems, gets to WinXp boot screen and BSOD everytime, yet this HDD works fine in every other PC. What would make my SATA HDD not work ( i think its getting power but not spinning ), and why would it also crap out when my IDE hd is tested inside it, even though I know this smaller 80g IDE drive is fine bc im on it right now. Under normal conditions the 120g SATA drive is the only one I use in my system, so I now its not a master/slave/cs issue, turned PC off fine, got back home and boom, DISK ERROR, plz if you can think of anything let me know, i got 120gig of work and stuff id love to NOT lose :D

Mobo is Abit IC7 rev 1 & im starting to think I need to RMA this if I can, since of course the NorthBridge fan has gone out, and now the HDD controllers could possibly be failing.
Any suggestions?

Back