• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Supermicro dual Xeon boards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ebola

Senior Toilet Scrubber
I've been thinking of upgrading to a dual xeon machine in the near future and I haven't heard any mention of the new supermicro boards. It looks like they have a few that support the new xeons with the 800 mhz fsb and 64 bit extensions. The asus boad everyone is talking about seems to only support 533 xeons. I saw 2cpu rate one of the supermicro setups quite high. Anyone?

Supermicro is one of the best brands for motherboards.
They've built a good reputation producing very stable server motherboards.
The new E7525 boards look incredible.
They have almost everything we need, but they lack one thing - overclocking.

I have the X6DAE-G motherboard with dual 3GHz Xeons 800fsb EM64T and run both windows XP and XP-64 and the speed is absolutely insane. I use 3ds Max all the time and one file that took my 2.8b P4 533fsb computer 11 hours to render, took my Xeons 2.5 hours to render. I love the motherboard and its speed and expandability.

Yeah it really depends on what your trying to do. If your going for a stable server, supermicro is the only way to go. But there is no way to overclock, short of volt mods and breaking a pin off.

Asus/Iwill produce great mobo's for non-critical systems (like person workstations or such) they provide the ability to overclock and offer better features to overclock.

I run a X5DAE (supermicro) and i want to oc it now, but i am scared of breaking off a pin : )

Asus NCCH-DL supports both Prestorias (533fsb) or Nocona (800fsb) and has overclocking options. Not to mention its cheaper.

The NCCH-DL is a very nice board, if your getting into duals for personal use, i would go with it.

Back