• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

...ghetto mod in the works, heh heh heh... :D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
about that box for mobo and cpu.

Ill drop by the groshery store and pick up a good dozen of boxs because I want to make a model for my next case so I dont mess up on the aluminium sheets. I will make a sturdy custom box :attn:

Didnt have time to do anything since I was searching for a job (computer tech / admin) everyone wants college graduates and mcse, I only got my d.e.p for the moment. eventually Ill get a job :-/

- - - - - - -

hmm, what to do with that front panel, you can always plexi it and leave 5 and a half cut out for bays if you want. you can also use tinted plexi. depends waht you want to do.

next time you mod something keep me informed befor it starts :p I can think up some ideas.

Msi. said:
about that box for mobo and cpu.

Ill drop by the groshery store and pick up a good dozen of boxs because I want to make a model for my next case so I dont mess up on the aluminium sheets. I will make a sturdy custom box :attn:

Didnt have time to do anything since I was searching for a job (computer tech / admin) everyone wants college graduates and mcse, I only got my d.e.p for the moment. eventually Ill get a job :-/

- - - - - - -

hmm, what to do with that front panel, you can always plexi it and leave 5 and a half cut out for bays if you want. you can also use tinted plexi. depends waht you want to do.

next time you mod something keep me informed befor it starts :p I can think up some ideas.

...a 120mm Panaflo will go in the top where the 5 1/2" bays used to be, the burner gets dropped to the bottom, and the floppy will stay where it was. Before the plexi, the two 120's pushed a lot of air out of the front "vent" I had cut, so we're gonna come up with something that vents through the drive cage, out the front. We'll move the HDD and mount it in between the actual mounts, so it gets good airflow around it, and the exhaust air will help cool it. Dunno if we'll just drill it out, or cut out a section of plexi and toss some kinda mesh over it. I like the drill out idea, but it's gonna be Bam's case, so it's his call... :attn:

...I'm really starting to appreciate what some guys do when modding, I didn't realize how long it takes, and how many changes there are as you cruise through something "simple", never mind a themed case. A serious person could easily turn this into a fulltime job...

Well I have it packed for ya, It is every primitive packing, I dont have anymore duct tape a home.

Monday I should have a new roll so then im patching it up and sending it. I dout they will say its not well packed. I will cover up the duct tip with some white paper make it look nice just to get by those crazy people that check the packages :)

heres is a pick :)

octheworld-sushi.jpg
octheworld-box.jpg

the processors looks like im makeing sushi roll :p

hmm sushi :)

...man!!! Between me, the wife, and two kids, I doubt we put out that much cardboard recycling in a week :D Yeah, somehow, I think it'll survive the journey... :attn:

hehe actually I cut up my full tower box and made the container for the mobo and cpu out of it, I dont intend on moveing it around anymore so i didnt need the box, theres still a lot left but im keeping for to make my next case model :)

(hehe a full tower out of cardboard :p

...well, time for an update. I got off my butt today and started choppin away, I was gettin PO'ed about the burner sittin on top of the case, so I decided to go kinda nuts on this "thing", I only have another week off, sooooo...

...this morning, I decided this is what I was gonna do, whether Bam was helping today or not...

...here, everything inside the white box will be plexi, outside is the original front plastic cover. Plexi is easier to cut than metal, so it suits my purpose...

front.jpg

frtcover.jpg

sidepanel.jpg

...the red boxes on the sidepanel will be blacked out to hide the PSU, drivecage, and maybe the burner, the burner cover may just get a paint job. As you can see, the burner sitting on top of the case sucked, IDE cable up throug the side, power out through the back panel, really ugly, and not at all convenient...

...so, enough PSP, on with the modding. I ripped everything out, noticed my PSU was a mess, and took it apart. I had only cleaned it out once, maybe 3 years ago, and this is what I found, man, this is bad, heh heh heh!!! :eek:...

psudirty.jpg

...broke out my trusty paint brush, and the vacuum cleaner, and all is good... :D

psuclean.jpg

...tools for the job. Jigsaw lasted 5 seconds, blade snapped, doesn't like metal, didn't get used. Lakeport Honey Lager was today, and always will be, the most important tool. The hacksaw lasted for two cuts, then my Mulco metal snips took over, much easier. Did I mention that Lakeport Honey is the most important tool? Well it is, relieves the pain of gashes, pinches, monotony of drilling 3000 holes in plexi, and, it tastes damn good... :attn:

tools.jpg

frame.jpg

burnermt.jpg

...as you can see with the hacksaw, I had to slide the blade through the case, then hook it back on. I then realized after the two cuts, that I'd have to do it again. Honey Lager tends to slow the thought process. I tossed the hacksaw, set the beer off to the side, and grabbed the snips...

...after the frame fiasco was over with, I started on the plexi. First the floppy hole. I drilled all round the hole I wanted to cut, then dremeled the centre out, then sanded(with the dremel) to my line, and finished with a hand file. I need just a wee bit more practice, but it's getting better... :thup:

floppy.jpg

floppymounted.jpg

...yes, that's a washing machine I'm working on top of, and no, I'm not in the doghouse, I got my wife this 2 weeks ago, so the old beastie is now my workbench, I can get away with all kindza s**t now... :D

washer.jpg

...anyhow, next the 120mm. Same drill(pun intended), drill inside the lines, cut between the holes with the dremel, then sand(no hand-filling this time)...

fan.jpg

...so far, so good...

frtcov.jpg

frntplexi.jpg

...then it was time to put it back together...

...so with the guts spread across the carpet in the livingroom(my wife is very understanding), I started checking everything over...

apart.jpg

...aside from the filthy PSU, I found this wee prob with a cap. Now, I can't tell if it's blown, about to blow, or just, well, "physically challenged", but something sure doesn't look right. My board is stable, but I can't get ANY kind of OC out of it anymore, I think it's toast. It looks swollen on top, but then again, the one in behind and to the left of it is sunken in. The brown on top just brushed off, I'm not sure if it was just dirt, or something not good at all. Any thoughts on this?...

cap1.jpg

cap2.jpg

...my trusty old DFI CA64-TN mobo in all its glory... :attn:

mobo.jpg

...and here it is, back together...

done.jpg

...I also sliced out this wee bit of a "blowhole"...

blowhole.jpg

...no room for a 120mm up there, cause of the PSU and mobo bein so close, but I left the hole narrow enough to bolt an 80mm in there later. Looks weren't an issue, the cover will hide the butcher job. We're gonna put a set of "transport exhaust stacks" up there, so even without a fan, it'll bleed hot air off...

...now all I have to do is figure out how to make the stacks, and how to get Bam Bam workin on the paint job, he's supposed to help tomorrow, which is good, I have to make a solid mount for the burner, it's supported by paper-towel rolls right now, heh heh heh... :D

thegreek said:
WOW that is one dirty PSU

...hahahahaha, ain't that sad?!!! I couldn't believe it. I keep the rest of my system clean, well, fairly clean, but the PSU is always neglected. I think I'll keep a better eye on it from now on... :bang head

...spent 8 hours on this today, which included lapping my heatsink for my CPU, and of course the CPU(1100 Celery) itself. That's a PIII HSF on the Celery, tossed the stock one, I forget where I got the HS for the Northbridge, fan is from some VGA cooler kit, same with the southbridge cooler... :cool:

...another update, me and Bam Bam worked on it yesterday and today, got a lot done, and since we got as far as we did, we now decidided to do the plexi sidecover over, the first paint job, well, it matches pretty close, but the new stuff looks so much better, it's gettin re-done...

...anyhow, Bam worked his wrists off sanding down the sidecover(mobo/top) sanding off the factory paint, man, I liked how it looked before paint, heh heh heh... :thup:

covpnt.jpg

...that's the paint and primer, it's an anodized red, hard to make it show up in a pic. The exhaust tips are for the top of the "rig", we'll work on making "heat sheilds" for them later...

...here's the primer on the side, man, I liked it with just the primer, but Bam wanted paint...

fullside.jpg

...I wanted to show what colour(yeah, that's a Canuck spelling :D ) we were using, but it's hard to get a good shot of this stuff, it's very slick, anodized/chrome finish, I love it. Here's a shot of the cap, and that's how it turns out too. Man, this paint is nice, I wish I could do it justice...

lid2.jpg

...so, here we go, as we got the schtuff painted, and put together. Front panel(s)...

frtcov1.jpg

cov2.jpg

...together, now with the fan in...

cov3.jpg

...sittin on the desk, back together...

cov4.jpg

...okay, last shot for now, this is where the exhaust stacks will go, they still need heat sheilds around them, and the vent in the cover hasn't been cut yet...

cov5.jpg

...Bam has to paint his mural on the side, and I'm stuck buyin a "Mack" bulldog for the front, which will go between the floppy and burner(and cost me a small fortune!!!). Hard to see them there, but there is a floppy and a CD burner in the front, painted black, they blend right in. When I look back at what we started with, I'm very impressed with what we've done, big props to Bam Bam(Josh) for putting up with me yelling at him for breaking dremel disks, losing nutz and boltz, and just for bein a kid, man, he's got a hell of a lot more patience than I do, hahahahaha... :D :attn:

...so, I'm gonna get Bam registered in here, so he can blab on about the rest of his plans for the system. He's off to the store to grab munchies right now, but he'll be in here tonight...

...man, I love this mod, it's been a slice, last time I was this close to the kids we lived up north, and were fishing/camping. Can't do that here in the city, but I'm glad we found something to do together. Aaron's mod is next, soon as the mobo gets here. Bam has work left to do on this, lotza work, but I'll let him give you the lowdown on that... :thup:

Last edited:
thegreek said:
now thats a ghetto way to make a circle :clap:

...actually, it's not meant to be a circle, it's meant to follow the frame of the 120mm Panaflo. Yeah, it could be a perfect circle, but that would take away from the venturi effect designed into the frame of the fan, the fan frame is designed to increase air flow. I learned this in grade 9 auto-mechanics, 27 years ago. Highschool was fun, maybe you should try it out... :attn:

I hate when 13 year olds start a post out im only 13 and i can do that better than u and u are 30..lol.Yeah but when i was thirteen i didnt run home from school everyday because some big kid was gonna beat me up.Sound fimilar you little twirps..You little boy's should stop thinking u are so much better than everyone.

gigabit said:
I hate when 13 year olds start a post out im only 13 and i can do that better than u and u are 30..lol.Yeah but when i was thirteen i didnt run home from school everyday because some big kid was gonna beat me up.Sound fimilar you little twirps..You little boy's should stop thinking u are so much better than everyone.

the garynator said:
LOL, lookin good man, always nice to see a fellow ghetto modder workin his magic

...thanks guys, gonna get Josh/Bam Bam in here to explain what he's got left to do... :)

hi guys this is bambam brundle kid

i still have a mural rig to paint on the case.
i still have to cut a vent hole in the top for the stacks
still have to paint the plexi side pannel and put lights on the inside of the case
dads buying me green cc's and blue rounded cables
and i am going to dimond plate(aluminum) all around the edges and corners
i am putting a bulldog "Mack" emblem on the front cover
just to let you know i dont ride the short bus i just cant type that well :bang head
i wil be back with more updates as we get them done

peace :attn:

Back