• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

...ghetto mod in the works, heh heh heh... :D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The last time I was in O/C Forums - (You last visited: 03-15-03 at 04:16 AM)

Obviously: The above date was the last time I signed in. But I have been a member for some years now. I rarely posted in those years choosing rather to see how newcomers to the Art of Overclocking were coming along.

I am now posting to say hello to everybody in general and to BrundleFly and Josh (BamBam) in particular. - Nice work guys.

Those 120mm fans look familiar?

PS: Children should be seen and not heard.

Looks great I plan to start work on my case here fairly soon :) Going to incorporate 3 side fans cut a hole for a thermometer and do some airbrushing>_< I'll post some pictures when work gets started.

mackthehack said:
The last time I was in O/C Forums - (You last visited: 03-15-03 at 04:16 AM)

Obviously: The above date was the last time I signed in. But I have been a member for some years now. I rarely posted in those years choosing rather to see how newcomers to the Art of Overclocking were coming along.

I am now posting to say hello to everybody in general and to BrundleFly and Josh (BamBam) in particular. - Nice work guys.

Those 120mm fans look familiar?

PS: Children should be seen and not heard.

...heya Mack, good to see you in here my friend :attn: You have no idea how much grief those fans you sent have saved me, my wife used to bug me alla time about the noise when I had a buncha 80's in there soundin like an airplane taking off... :D

...BTW, I met Mack in person a few years ago, you'd be surprised at how much he resembles his gif, heh heh heh... :D

9mmCensor said:
haha child labour

...now if I can only figure out how to make money off him, heh heh heh...

gigabit said:
Looking Good!!!!!!!Kinda looks like a BIG Tractor..lol with the chrome pipes

...thanks, that's what he's going for, I'm looking forward to the diamond plate going on there...

Msi. said:
thats some good work, got some money so i can finish off the tapeing for that package.

...thanks, seems those 450's OC'ed very well, get the kids hooked on modding, then get them hooked on overclocking, oh yeah... :attn:

DarkPedro said:
Looks great I plan to start work on my case here fairly soon Going to incorporate 3 side fans cut a hole for a thermometer and do some airbrushing>_< I'll post some pictures when work gets started.

...thanks, I wish I had the skills(and equipment) to do airbrushing, but it's beyond me, singing in the shower is about as artistic as I get, and trust me, that's nothing to brag about, heh heh heh...

WalMart4Life said:
WOW very nice case now i love it 10/10 :b

...thanks, Bam is a little slow to get moving, but once he does, he gives it 110%. Everytime we touch another part, I add another tool to my wish list. I think I'll set up a workbench in the garage this spring, the wife would appreciate it if we did our painting out there, kinda stinks up the house doing it in the basement, hahahahaha... :D

Up the Irons said:
I'm 13 and I have better typing skills and grammar. That's quite disturbing.

Congratulations - would you like an award?

Since when has the Internet been a place of proper language. Who caressssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

i am sure in person his grammer and hadn writing likely far exceeds yours.

as said, dont have something nice to say, dont say it.

Anyways - it is great to have a father / son project going on! - might need some fine trimming around the edges unless your going for the rough - this is hardcore! look :D

neonblingbling said:
Sweet, having a whole family into it....

For me:
Mom: "Do you REALLY need to cut flames into your computer?"
Dad: "Why the ____ (fill in blank) do you need 5 fans?"

p

ahahahah, thas too funny, sounds just like something my mom would say - my dad on the other had would probably just laugh and think i have lost it.

threeme2189 said:
thats a really nice mod..(ghetto or not) and that bam bam dude seems like a nice kid
remind me how old you are?
MAN THAT RED COLOR ROX!!!!!!!

...yeah, Bam is a cool kid, I just gotta hide the dremel from him when we're not working on the case, he wants to mod everything now, heh heh heh :D I'm 42 on Groundhog Day, and Bam is 15 BTW. I love the Dupli-Colour Metalcast, they have some very cool colours in it. Hard to get a pic of the lid, it's just way too reflective, and because it's curved, the colour doesn't show up all that well. You can check their paints out here, they have to projects done by consumers there, got pics of an XBox with a fresh paint job, look pretty cool... :thup:

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/metalcast.html

Mr.Guvernment said:
Anyways - it is great to have a father / son project going on! - might need some fine trimming around the edges unless your going for the rough - this is hardcore! look :D

...man, I'd love to do some Bondo work on the front, to fill in where the old cover mates to the Plexi, there's a gap all the way around, not so noticeable right now, but once it's lit up, it's gonna show. Bam is already talking about getting his first car, so I figure he might as well get some Bondo practice in now :D Prob is that the old front cover(we're talking circa '98 here) is shaped kinda funky, it was curved, so the mounting the plexi means it sits back from the cover a bit. The old cover is attached with rounded spring clips, which means when it's removed, or put back on, it flexes quite a bit...

...I'm worried that the Bondo would crack off it was flexed. What does that mean? Well, we'll probably end up removing the spring clips and making some sort of thumb-screw fasteners for the front. That's OK by me, the paint didn't turn out as well on the front as it did the side/top cover, seems old dad takes shortcuts when sanding, and maybe the front could use a bit more sanding anyhow, which would do wonders for the paint. Okay, so I slacked off, stopped at 320 grit on the front, and the kid smoked the old man doing the side/top cover, he went to 400, then 600. I cheated, I'm busted, time to crawl back under my rock... :eek:

...I really want to fix the front, it was my shortcut, and seeing how it's out front and in your face, we may as well do it right. Having a bit of a hardcore look won't hurt, seeing how he's goin with a transport theme anyhow, but the front really needs fixing. I got tons of plexi, well, not tons, but pounds anyhow, I keep picking it up at work, it's amazing how many people use plexi as storm windows on their houses. We get this stuff all the time, probably one job I do a week, scoops me plexi off of old windows. Most of it is in excellent shape, aside from what the birds deposited on it. A free supply of plexi is an excellent thing to have... :attn:

i think the paint job looks great. nice job, but why did you paint so early? With all you have left seems like you will have to be really careful not to scratch it all up.

facialicious said:
i think the paint job looks great. nice job, but why did you paint so early? With all you have left seems like you will have to be really careful not to scratch it all up.

...thanks :D For the side, we needed the base coat on before the mural goes on, the front, well, like I said, after it was painted, we figured we couldn't leave the gaps as they were, and I did a crapola sanding job anyway. The trim on the corners will be diamond plate, so once again, the case has to be painted first. The Plexi side won't affect the paint at all. Mounting the stacks up top won't affect the paint either, piece of cake to mount, getting the "heat sheilds" on them is what will take some thought...

...okay, and we both wanted to see some progress. I'm glad we painted, at least now we know neither of us will accept the gaps in the front, the paint does look good, but the gaps take away from that. That's what you get for being impatient, it takes longer in the end, go figure... :-/

Mr.Guvernment said:
ahahahah, thas too funny, sounds just like something my mom would say - my dad on the other had would probably just laugh and think i have lost it.

I have that same problem. Fortunatly for me my brother started doing this kinda stuff years ago so its saved me from having to explain alot of things.

mackthehack said:
...drooooool :p

...I'm back to work tomorrow Mack, I'll start stocking up on the plexi again. Take your pick, I'll set some aside for you when I see it, usually get 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4". Need a size(widthXheight) too. I'll figure a way to get it to you free(I think I need a road trip anyhow), and so your super doesn't get her grubby little paws on it... :thup:

Sounds like a plan me friend. Thanx man.
I'm still in "never-neverland" about the "In-Desk" thingy and the mere mention of the Plexi got the juices flowing again. heh heh heh

Small update here, I'll post pics tomorrow. Scooped a set of CCFL's for Bam's box today, got the Cooler Master Ultras, very nice, the boy has a dance hall in his box when you crank the tunes, I like it. My wife likes it. We all like it, heh. :attn:

We tore the case apart again tonight, slapped a new HSF on the Northbridge, just for bling-bling, and Bam painted the interior of the case. I wanted to get pics of him painting, but my batteries died as I attempted to take the first pic. I'll get pics of him doing bondo work tomorrow.

We(actually Josh, epoxy stinks, so it's his job) epoxied the front plexi to the front panel, so all the screws are gone now, there will just be 4 bolts holding the front panel to the frame. Tomorrow the gaps around the plexi will get bondo, along with the old screw holes. This is really starting to come together for us. Now I want to keep the case, heh heh heh. :D

Here's a quickie update, the rest of the pics will get posted tomorrow. I just got the mess cleaned off the kitchen table, if I had left that behind, I'd be dead in the morning. My wife lets me get away with a lot, as long as I clean up. I'm not about to mess wuth a good thing. Enough said, a wee update, that I posted in another forum.

picked up some more stuff for me and Josh, Bondo glazing and spot putty, the WRONG freakin epoxy(the store rushed us out, CTC is having their Xmas party tonight, I grabbed the wrong stuff), another can of Dupli-Color Metalcast Red, and a new HSF combo for Bam's Northbridge, blue, to match the Albatron ti4200 vidcard. The HSF has an LED fan, just for some extra bling-bling. It'll still needs cold cathodes, but at least we finally got SOME bling-bling in there.

So, from the top, first pic is where Josh and I are not impressed by the gap between the original front panel, and the plexi insert. The blue line highlights where the gap is, just to the left of it. The second pic shows the gap on the left. This will be filled with bondo. The reason it wasn't originally filled is that the original cover, being plastic, is flexible. It's held on with spring clips, which necessitate twisting the cover to get it off or on, the bondo would have cracked from the stress. The third pic shows where the bolts will go, the spring clips will be gone, holes drilled, and bolts installed. We'll be using either JB Weld or Lepages' Epoxy Steel #10 to lock the nuts to the inside of the case. Arrows in the third pic point to where the bolts will be.

rightsd.jpg

lftsd.jpg

bolts.jpg

Yeah, okay, so here's the heatsink and fan. Looks nice, until I get to lapping it.

orig.jpg

orig2ny.jpg

...the base of the heatsink looks fairly flat, no REAL ridges when I ran my fingernail over it, but I figured it couldn't be perfect. Hey, cool looking heatsink, eh? Matches the colour of my(Josh's) vidcard pretty close. I start lapping it, this is after maybe 2 minutes with 220 grit wet/dry paper.

220.jpg

The next shots are of 320, 400, then 600, in that order.

320.jpg

400.jpg

600.jpg

600done.jpg

6001.jpg

6002.jpg

I re-lapped the Northbridge HS, then re-lapped the CPU and sink, with 1500 grit. I'm tired, I have to work in the morning, so here's all the pics I feel like linking to, hope you enjoy them, Josh worked really hard tonight, I'm proud of that boy. :attn:

rdytogo.jpg

rebuild1.jpg

inside1.jpg

Last edited:
It's a Nikao "ChipsMod IV", called "chips on fire". I got it here in Barrie at "Skunk Works". I have no idea if Skunk Works is a chain, all I know is they carry a lot of modding parts, and what they don't have, they'll order, from rounded cables to any brand of mobo you want. :attn:

Back