• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

...ghetto mod in the works, heh heh heh... :D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Fridge said:
*drools over the paint job*

touch of inspiration with those silver pipey things, i must say, they make such a good finishing touch, a truly unique mod (as far as i know anyway :rolleyes: )

Thanks man, there will be many chrome accents by the time we're done, and that particular date has just been pushed back, thank you Canadian Tire Corp and your BS p*ss-poor paint. I made the mistake of using CTC clear-coat, well, it just toasted my paint job.

Time to sand it down again, and start fresh. I'm disappointed in one way, but at the same time, there were a few flaws in the paint, so this allows me to get it perfect this time.

This is costing a small fortune in paint though :bang head Time to work on the window I suppose. Ticks me off, I saved $2 a can by buying CTC clear-coat instead of Dupli-colour, and now it's gonna cost me $60. So, I "saved" $6 using CTC clear, which will end up costing the $60(paint/primer/clear) PLUS what I wasted on CTC clear.

The moral here is don't cheap out when buying paint :rolleyes:

Bummer about the paint Brundle Fly. If I ever get the gumption to try as ambitious a mod as you did, I'll remeber not to skimp on the paint.

LOL at the dog joke. BTW- we went to the animal shelter today and adopted a dog. Poor thing's fur was mega-matted. Gonna pick her up Monday. Looks like a giant Maltese. We already have a Shiba-Inu, but the wife wants a lap dog.

Slake said:
Bummer about the paint Brundle Fly. If I ever get the gumption to try as ambitious a mod as you did, I'll remeber not to skimp on the paint.

LOL at the dog joke. BTW- we went to the animal shelter today and adopted a dog. Poor thing's fur was mega-matted. Gonna pick her up Monday. Looks like a giant Maltese. We already have a Shiba-Inu, but the wife wants a lap dog.

Yeah, it's a bummer, but it's a lesson learned the hard way, the kind you don't easily forget.

A few pics of what happened. Obviously, Crappy Tire paint doesn't agree with Dupli-Colour, in a multitude of ways. This is clear enamel on top of enamel colour coats, after a week of drying in very nice weather, average of 75F for a week, no rain at all. The CTC clear on top of the Metal Cast primer wrinkled it up so it looked just like spraying laquer on top of enamel. Same effect, but this is enamel on enamel.

fan1.jpg

fan2.jpg

The faceplate for my burner went in a different direction, it clouded over bigtime, which happened to all the other colour coated parts also. The effect after clear-coating makes it look as though I had just finished wetsanding the clear. There's no salvaging this, the clouding has to go, and the only way is to sand it out, which will cut into the metalflake, ruining the effect. I'll just start from scratch. Weird the two different reactions with the same can of clear, I guess it's the metalflake in the primer.

I used the Dupli-Colour clear on my keyboard and had no problems whatsoever, so I can only assume it's the el-cheapo Crappy Tire paint. Man, they don't even put a freakin rattle in the can they're so cheap! You can see the diff in the comparison shot with the keyboard. Ah well, suck it up, I worked yesterday, that's an extra $200 on my paycheque next Friday.

I figure around $80 to $100 for primer/paint/clear. I have all the sandpaper and other supplies, so paint is all I need. I'd much rather spend it on beer, I mean the wife and kids, but paint it is :D

Here's the faceplate:

face1.jpg

face2.jpg

In the end, I get to fix a few flaws that were kinda buggin me, like I forgot to clean off my drive light window after priming, if I would have done it later, it would have cracked the primer, now I can fix that, clean it off with a Q-Tip while the primer is still wet, then colour coat over top, changing the light to red.

Cool on the dog Slake. I'm a fan of Black Labs myself, but the wife's wee powder-puff grew on me. Nice job saving an animal from the shelter, props to you dude :attn:

threeme2189 said:
my dad makes the same (get the cheap one) mistake sometrimes too...i tell him not to because it will come back to haunt him but he just doesn't listen.
well i hope your next paint job is better :p

Yeah man, cheaping out is definitely not the way to go. I didn't even save that much, $2 a can :bang head

Live and learn, I'll sand everything down today, then see what I can do with my clear side-cover, and some other bits and pieces I have to build. :shrug:

that looks awsome i really like the color i like the exhaust tips too.. look like the ones that people put on the old VW GTIs

ghettocomp said:
I like the looks of the paint that does that, too bad it is not intentional. Besides I would think those wrinkles in the paint will tend to collect dust faster.

There are wrinkle finish paints available, but I agree, dust would be a major prob in a computer. On the otherhand, if I ever want to get the wrinkle effect, I know exactly how to do it, heh heh heh :rolleyes:

TimmAy said:
that looks awsome i really like the color i like the exhaust tips too.. look like the ones that people put on the old VW GTIs

Thanks, it probably is the same exhaust tips, I got them at Canadian Tire, $8 or $10 a piece I forget.

Man this week is taking forever, payday is Friday, I'm anxious to get goin on this again, and it feels time is dragging on. 3 days to go, tick tock :bang head

On the bright side...... THAT KEYBOARD ROCKS!

Dog turned out to be a Lahsa Apso or however ya' spell it.We named her- BABY. I modded her already.. went to Pet Smart- Bought Clipper set and shaved her. Had to She was so matted I actually had to use Tin snips to cut some of the Matted hair clumps. Pet Smart cant work on dogs that havent had the Rabies shot which she cant get for a week. Just got Spayed the day we picked her up, so can't bathe her for a week. PHEW!!!

Slake said:
On the bright side...... THAT KEYBOARD ROCKS!

Dog turned out to be a Lahsa Apso or however ya' spell it.We named her- BABY. I modded her already.. went to Pet Smart- Bought Clipper set and shaved her. Had to She was so matted I actually had to use Tin snips to cut some of the Matted hair clumps. Pet Smart cant work on dogs that havent had the Rabies shot which she cant get for a week. Just got Spayed the day we picked her up, so can't bathe her for a week. PHEW!!!

I'm re-doing the keyboard too, it's not quite right, it can look better, and it will. Next will be the monitor, but I'll be stuck with a 15" while my 17" is drying, so I'm in no hurry for that :)

I hope Baby does okay and is healthy, no matter what, at least she now has "parents" that care about her. You'll end up with a dog that will love you forever(like all dogs do), but yours will be special. My hat is off to anyone that rescues a dog, sometimes it takes a lot of work to make that dog feel welcome, they can be distrusting because of the past abuse/neglect they've experienced, but once they learn they are loved, they show their appreciation in a lot of ways. When they lay their head on yur knee and look at you with those big old eyes, loving that scratch on the head, you know they are finally home. Props man, and cheers to Baby, the new member of the family :beer: :thup:

Well, I'm not sure if I'll get any painting done this weekend, it's kinda humid here right now, which isn't all that good for painting. We got a wee bit of a storm here today, and that weather is supposed to last through the weekend, humidex of 104F/40C, I won't spray in that weather, it's a waste of paint.

How good did we get it today? Here's a couple pics, all drained off now. They tossed a few tornado warnings in there for good measure, but nothing materialized, thankfully. The local news had a vid of downtown, cars covered up over the hoods in water. We got 15cm/6 inches of rain in 90 minutes, what a downpour, heh heh heh.

I love storms, man, I missed all this, I was working out of town, DAMN! :bang head

Anyhow, the park(2 minute walk from my house) flooded, here's Stinky(Aaron) riding his bike(red G-Unit shirt), and the park after it drained back down, same area he was swimming in.

aaronbike.jpg

aaronbike2.jpg

parkdrain.jpg

parkdrain2.jpg

...more...

A wee bit of perspective, bike across the road during the storm, and after, check out the rock on the lawn in the background, shows how deep it got.

bike2.jpg

bike3.jpg

car2.jpg

Hopefully, the same weather doesn't hit me at work tomorrow, or maybe I want it to, an early day on payday can be a nice thing. :beer:

Anyhow, if the forecast is right, no painting this weekend, downer, but hey, I got time, and I guess I can work on the clear side panel. Sorry the only mod I have is the "weather mod" right now, but it will stop raining, it always has before :D

Back