• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mobo for 5k dual opteron 248

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

steambeast

Registered
Looking at dual opteron 248's for a gaming rig. Looking to spend about 5k. Idea's for motherboards?

I am sure you have probably read this alot but a dual rig is not mean't for gaming. I also know you are probably saying "I didn't ask for that kind of response you idiot Spec_Ops" however hear me out.

I got a dualie a little while back and it was TOP OF THE LINE for its times. gf4 ti4600 1GB RAM, RAID, and Athlon MP 2000+s. I thought it was going to be great, I got a powerful system for multimedia and power for games. Truth is, for gaming it pretty much does suck. You must use slower memory for it so it is even slower then a single Athlon 2000+ running. Of course I am not sure how opteron's run gaming wise however you may want to reconsider for a new 3Ghz p4 and OC it, that will yeild a perfect gaming rig but a dualie is a terriable gamer really.

Spec

I've actually been reading and dual opteron 248's have been blowing out most other systems in the gaming field. I am also going to be using it for rendering maya/max, although modeling done on other computer. Plus illustrator, photoshop, etc. I'm an animator so I kinda want an all encompassing thing. Plus, the 64 bit action. Can't say I quite use it right now, but it's nice to have the ability to access it later.

I've never actually seen the gaming performance of them but would love to! As to answer your initial question, I have a MSI board for my duals and I have only had one problem that a simple BIOS flash fixed...otherwise stable as can be motherboard that can be OCed. How much? I am not sure, I always went for stabibility (sp) over speed.

Spec

I'd go Iwill as they have several options:

ZMAX:SFF shuttle like case, but not much expansion of course.

DK8X: AMD 81xx chipset with the AGP bridge.

DK8N: NF4 chipset, a lot like the DK8X.

DK8ES: NF4 SLI board, don't think its out yet.

sofar to my knowledge none do. I would guess because PCI-E isn't server oriented more gaming oriented. You find PCI-X's (66mhz or 133mhz PCI versions) on servers not PCI-E. As said before, a dualie is a server not a hardcore gaming rig

Spec

disk11 said:
I'd go Iwill as they have several options:

ZMAX:SFF shuttle like case, but not much expansion of course.

DK8X: AMD 81xx chipset with the AGP bridge.

DK8N: NF4 chipset, a lot like the DK8X.

DK8ES: NF4 SLI board, don't think its out yet.

The DK8N uses the NF3 250 chipset. I'm looking at this for a pair of Opteron 246s. Anyone know anything about this board? It's twice as much as the cheaper dualie Opteron boards, I guess due to the NF3 chipset. Is the NF3 chipset worth it over the AMD and VIA dualie chipsets?

Mustanley said:
The DK8N uses the NF3 250 chipset. I'm looking at this for a pair of Opteron 246s. Anyone know anything about this board? It's twice as much as the cheaper dualie Opteron boards, I guess due to the NF3 chipset. Is the NF3 chipset worth it over the AMD and VIA dualie chipsets?

Basically it has PCI-X slots that no Via board has. Here's a review for ya: http://www.burningissues.net/hard/DK8N_review/

tyannf4sli.jpg

K8W
Tyan's new mobo. Should be out soon. SLI so you can run 2 of the new nvidia gfx cards.

Also IWILL is comming out with a new one. SLI also
DK8ES

niwd7.jpg

Dual 248's will be no faster than a single FX-51 and might actually be slower in some cases due to the overhead associated with DP systems (the fact that you have to use registered/buffered memory also makes a differece but the FX-51 also had that requirement). Unless the game supports SMP, you aren't going to see any gains from the second processor (unless you like to run tons of stuff, like WinAMP, etc in the background). Some games do support SMP: I was reading somewhere that Tribes Vengeance does. Such games are a small minority, though support should improve as dual core processors become mainstream. If your main thing is gaming: save the money you'd be spending on the DP motherboard and second CPU and get a FX-55, an NF4 SLI board and two GF6800 Ultras. Then get a Prometia MACH2 GT (they are making them again) or a Vapochill XE with some good overclocking RAM and push it past 3.1 GHz (at which point it will slaughter all but the most extreme P4 OCs).

All of that being said, you plan to use other apps for which a DP system is well suited. If you're set on SMP, hold out for the Tyan 2895 (pictured above), as that will allow you to use SLI with two full 16x PCI-E slots (as opposed to 16x/2x on the Iwill DK8ES) and give you more upgrade options in the future. I'd also probably wait for the 90nm Troy core with SSE3 and other improvements, esp. since you will be using apps that can take advantage of it.

Last edited:
Back