• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

15.5v on the 12v line

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chief

I put a new p4p800 se mobo and 2.4 prescott chip in someones xp box.Everything works perfect except the +12v line from the ps is reading 15.5v in asus probe and sandra 03.Bios (1006) reads right around 12 volts.Other than probing with a meter how do I deterime which is correct?Btw it was a clean install of xp after swapping parts.

Well, to me it seems like if you had that much voltage going through you system that something would have fried. Other than using a multimeter you're only other option is using a multimeter because that's the only way to be sure ;) You can pick one up from Radioshack. Get a cheap digital one and save yourself from worrying.

I think if it was really at 15v then you would be experiencing problems. As mentioned, a multimeter is the best bet to make sure, some voltage monitoring programs can be out by quite a bit.

Also, to make matters easier. You don't have to dig around on your motherboard to find the 12V rail. Just take a molex connector, put the black probe in a black line hole and the take the red (I believe) molex line and put the red probe in it. Simple as that. Your 5V rail should be the yellow wire.

enduro said:
Also, to make matters easier. You don't have to dig around on your motherboard to find the 12V rail. Just take a molex connector, put the black probe in a black line hole and the take the red (I believe) molex line and put the red probe in it. Simple as that. Your 5V rail should be the yellow wire.

What he said ;)

I don't think its correct since something would fry.I can read it right from the molex plug?

Well the red wire is reading 5v and the yellow is reading 13v and one of the orange wires is reading 3v.I have never seen a 13v reading on a ps but it may be my meter.Anyway it seems to be a false reading as far as sandra and asus probe goes and I thank you all for the input.

13 volts is still high. What kind of multimeter are you using? It's not an analogue meter is it? Those aren't usually accurate enough to read computer voltages.

Yep its the analogue meter I use on my car.The bios on this p4p800se is reading 11.4 volts.

You really need a digital multimeter to measure voltages on a computer. It is important when reading rail voltages to have accuracy to at least 1 decimal place. 11.1 vs. 11.9 is a huge difference, but only a fractional change in voltage. ;)

Back