• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trinitron 21" screen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looks like a good purchase to me man, I love those Trinitron tubes. Its a nice bonus that it is already black ( dont have to paint it). 1600x1200 at 85hz are some nice specs, and I mean for that price you almost cant go wrong for a monitor of that size.

If you get it let us know what your impresions are of it :D.

No where on that listing does it refer to it being an aperture grille/trinitron tube from what I can see. Also, it contradicts itself by saying it supports DVI-I, but then listing the connector as a 15pin dsub... :bang head
DVI on an analog monitor? Never heard of it...and "Perfect Flat" is almost always the marketing name for a flat conventional CRT, not a FD Trinitron.

consumer9000 said:
No where on that listing does it refer to it being an aperture grille/trinitron tube from what I can see. Also, it contradicts itself by saying it supports DVI-I, but then listing the connector as a 15pin dsub... :bang head
DVI on an analog monitor? Never heard of it...and "Perfect Flat" is almost always the marketing name for a flat conventional CRT, not a FD Trinitron.

Trust me, that IBM has a Sony FD Trinitron tube, the plug in is a standard 15 pin VGA connector. If you still dont believe me, just search IBM P260, you will see its a perfect Flat screen and a FD Trinitron tube

The P260 Color Monitor incorporates the latest FD Trinitron CRT technology to for minimal glare and image distortion during long periods of viewing. It features maximum resolutions up to 2048X1536 for sharp text and clear graphics. The P260 is ideal for all kinds of applications including word processing, data entry, e-mail, graphics, image processing, and spreasheets. Plus, its twin video inputs enable you to connect two PCs at the same time!
-Manufacturer: SONY Corp, made in Japan
-Tube Type: 21" Flat Trinitron
-Dot Pitch: 0.24 mm
-Viewable Size: 19.8"
-HSCAN: 30-120Khz
-VSCAN: 48-160Hz
-Resolution: 2048X1536 maximum resolution
1600 x 1200 @ 85Hz
-MultiSync, PC compatible
-Platforms: Mac and PC
-Signal Input: 15-pin D-sub (standard VGA plug) and DVI
-Power Supply: 100-260VAC
-Dimension: 19.8 in. (H) x 19.6 in. (W) x 20 in. (D)
-OnScreen Controls: Brightness, Color point adjustment, Contrast, Degauss, Degauss via Power Switch, Geometry reset, Horizontal convergence, Horizontal position, Horizontal size, Image rotation, Moire control, On-screen display, Pincushion adjustment, R.G.B. control, Selectable color points, Trapezoidal adjustment, Vertical convergence, Vertical position, Vertical size, Zoom

It has 2 inputs, one dvi-i and one dsub. Any idea if the dvi-i just uses the dvi-a part of the signal, or if it has a good dac in it?

The Dell is a step or 2 below the IBM. I had an older p1110 and the recommended resolution is only 1280*1024, same as the p1130. I found 1600*1200 hard to use with the Dell. The IBM probably has a better Trinitron tube and electronics which allows for the 1600*1200 res.

the P1130 has recommended of 1600x1200 at 85 Hz and an FD Trinitron tube. If you haven't realized it, its the same monitor with different plastic. Duh. The IBM one is really ugly if you ask me though.

Actually, the dells recommended or optimum res is 1280*1024. The max preset is 1600*1200. But seems like the IBM has the same specs as the dell and probably is the same monitor. I just thought the IBM had a higer optimal res and there for a better monitor. There also a DVI-I connector on the IBM too. Here the specs page for the dell P1130

You can buy the monitor in canada @ www.dfsdirect.ca. That's Dell lease back and refurb site. Just keep in mind these monitors go fast and you have to check back often. Thats where I bought my Dell p1110.

Last edited:
If you compare the preset display modes for the two monitors, you can see they have the same specs. IBM just decided to call the 1600x1200 "optimal" maybe so it could sell more. I would think that the highest available preset mode would be considered your "optimal" mode, buy maybe Dell is just being conservative or something. Who knows.

That's a sweet deal, I'd certainly go for it. Right now I'm looking for a playmate for my 21" gateway trinitron monitor as opposed to the crappy 15" one it currently sits with.

Highest preset is rarely the optimal resolution. My 17" crt has a max preset of 1600*1200@75. 1280*1024 @ 85, the recommended res, is not even usable for any extended period of time.

I doubt it. My 19" Samsung 955DF has a max preset of 1600x1200 at 60 Hz. The reason people get 21" monitors is because of the high refresh at 1600x1200.

My monitor is a NEC FE791sb. Search the net and you'll find the max res is 1600*1200@76Hz.

Back