• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Choose between ATI and NIVIDA?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wow...this is the
capitial of the world here.

Bottom line: Read ALL the reviews and overall you will find the GT is the superior card. However either way you go, you can't go wrong, I just think the GT is a slightly better card, along with most reviewers opinions.

And Mica...no need to respond please, I already know what your going to say :-/

Sorry I have to say this, but...............

GO GO VOODOO!!!!!!!

Voodoo is the best. Both ATI and Nvidia sucks.......

Mica said:
yet Vrykryl, was able to reach x800xtpe speeds with his card...why is that a bad thing to you?
..yea..only one problem 2 months later his card cold booted and is still dead. So that arguement is a moot point :(

Sentential said:
..yea..only one problem 2 months later his card cold booted and is still dead. So that arguement is a moot point :(

thats why i stand besides x800xl, no need for risky mods.x800xl its a fair comparison to the 6800gt now that both have 16 pipes

scott_55X said:
And Mica...no need to respond please, I already know what your going to say :-/

is ther any reason you have to drag my name into something, each time you reply?

mica

Last edited:
Were is the love?

WoW! This started off as such a nice and friendly thread then some people had to get all emotional over video card. My opion is this I go by what the cover looks like, see it's kinda of like book. If the cover of the book looks appealing to you, don't you usually pick it up look at it some people even by it. Pictures speak louder then words. If all else feels ask your girl or if don't have on ask that seems appealing to you and ask them "which do you think looks good?" or some other else the is catchy. Think about it you might get lucky real lucky if you know what mean. LOL!!!

I think its all based on what camp you truely belong with ;)

I dont overrate or underrate ATi and Nvidia, their products are rock solid, and most perform flawlessly without a hitch

PhobMX said:
thats why i stand besides x800xl, no need for risky mods.x800xl its a fair comparison to the 6800gt now that both have 16 pipes

ya, i dont want to go with any risky mods and end up with a 400 buck paper weight. ;) to me its worth spening 100 more.

better off spending the 400 and getting a 16 pipe for sure.

i say line them up and if the xl gets its head kicked in by the gt so be it.

/me thinks with AA+AF cranked the lx takes it but loses in doom3(what else is new).

that is why we buy 16 pipe cards, right?

Sentential said:
Its really your call. ATi and nV both have their stregnths and weaknesses. Example:

-nV-
(Pros)
*Better chip yeild, ie better overclocker
*The most balanced GPU on the market
*Best drivers on the planet
*Most stable / free of graphical glitches
*"TWIMTBP" "The Way its meant to be played" (game company agreements that optimized for nV hardware)
*Fantastic OpenGL support
*Digital Vibrace (colors look sharp and fantastic...almost surreal)
* Ultra-shadow II (helps in games with high number of shadows)
*Pixel Shader 3.0

(Cons)
*High power draw
*High heat
*IQ is inferior to ATI unless modified with drivers
* Too Balanced to the point where it hurts peformance. (never is much faster or slower than ATi)
* IQ issues with shadows (also fixable)
* Slower when used with AA / AINSO (another IQ issue)

ATi
(Pros)
*Best IQ...hands down
*Blistering fast even with high levels of AA / AINSO
*Temporal Anti-alaising (doubles AA with no peformance loss, *ie removes jaggies)
*Low power and heat
*Extrodinarly fast in DirectX

(Cons)
*Poor driver stability
*Extremely bad yeilds and poor overclockers (especially bad on RAM)
*More Expensive
*Horrible OpenGL support (1/2 as fast as nV in games like Quake4 and Doom3 and KOTR2)
*No pixel or vertex 3.0 support whatsoever
*Poor stock cooling

While i won't nitpick everything you really are exagerating in that.

Nvidia isn't much slower than ATI in DX. The way you word it you'd think they were.

Poor overlcocks? How do you work that out. X800pro's overclock crazy, and my XTPE can do 560/600 stock cooling.

More expensive, is also false.

Poor stock cooling is false

Horrible Opengl performance? agreed it's quite a bit slower than nvidia, but no where near half. AHAHHAAH Quake 4 and KOTOR 2 ain't even out yet.

Back