• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No Networking or Internet for w2k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cuda70383

hi:
i installed a new boot drive and decided to re-install my win2k & now i can't get networking or an internet connection to work. i've tried using the wizard & i've looked through the tcp/ip properties and have also looked at my xp machine for all of its connections. i've never had trouble before connecting to a network or internet with using this win2k.

i am not able to ping my router or ping the w2k machine from my xp machine.
the device manage says that the ethernet is working properly and when i plug the cable into the ethernet, it lights up. i'va also switched the cables from the router and my xp box connects to the internet just fine with either cable.

any suggestions??????

Is the ethernet device integrated on the motherboard?

A motherboard defect may exist.

If the ethernet device is a member on a PCI or ISA expansion slot, try moving the ethernet device to a different slot. Then view the TCP/IP properties again.

Also a defect may exit in an ethernet PCI or ISA card.

I believe I misunderstood the post.

I have not had sufficient exposure to Windows XP's poor networking (I stay on Windows 2000).

To add clarification for other members:

The title is misleading.
The problem is occuring on a Windows XP (problem no longer seems strange) machine.
A Windows 2000 machine exists on a LAN.

no, i'm running dhcp so it is set up automatically

i can't ping my router even when i set the ip address on the router?????

finally had time to get back to troubleshooting......slipped in a pci networking card and voila......internet is back.

i will try the stinger anyway cm.

thanks all for your suggestions!!!! :thup:

Back