• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6600GT AGP vs. 6800LE AGP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LSS

Hi guys!

I've got an AGP 2.0 (4x) mobo and I'm thinking about buying a new graphics gard (I currently have GF4 4600Ti).

GF 6600GT AGP and 6800LE AGP are in my price range, 6600GT being a little cheaper. Which one should I get? What are the main differences?

Thanks in advance!

after a good Overclock (if that is your thing) the 6800 will outperform the 6600. Especially if you unlock the remaining 4 pipes. Thats what I did and it performs very well... I am not too familiar with the 6600 except for the fact that you can't softmod it to 16 pipes. Which will put it at a disadvantage to the 6800. And if I can make a recommendation, whatever you decide to go with, go with BFGtech. Lifetime warranty and 24/7 customer service can't be beat. Plus, their cards with the custom HSF are just beautiful.

EDIT : here is the card I would recommend. Factory overclocked (but you can push it MUCh further... I have mine running almost GT speeds and fully unlocked pipes... I almost have a 6800GT for about 150 bucks less.) http://www.bfgtech.com/images/6800OC_cardshot_custom.jpg

Last edited:
TimBlake84 said:
ummmmm **bump** (strike two)

I agree with you, I have a BFG 6800 OC and a 6600Gt coming but I will only be keeping one of them. More than likely the 6800 OC especially if it soft mods, plus it comes with far Cry vs the GT reetail box although it is a nice card as well. As far as cost I paid a little more for the 1 mth old BFG vs the new XFX

CK

Then again, an aggressively overclocked 6600GT will perform on par with a vanilla 6800. Also, the 6600 is complete with nvidia's new video processing engine, which is broken on the 6800's... Depends on what your priorities are, and how much you want to spend. For $230 a 6600GT with Dual DVI (and no second slot requirement) is a great way to go, and while it is not hackable to 16 pipes, it overclocks well out of the box and offers excellent performance at resolutions <1600x1200 due to memory bandwidth constraints...
So, if the new video processing features are a priority, go with an NV43 based 6600GT. If you want sheer speed and aren't afraid to softmod (no guarantees your NV40 will cooperate, or be reliable) then give a 6800 a shot for another $50 or so. :temper:

Back