• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Earbuds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

youngbuck

I'm gonna pick myself up a decent MP3 player (either the iPod Mini, or the Creative Muvo Zen Micro) and I want a good pair of earbuds. Now, when I say earbuds, I don't mean the simply in-ear headphones that some manufacturers try calling earbuds. I mean real earbuds, the kindsthat are like the ear plugs that you stick in your ears.

I'd call myself an audiophile, so I'm looking for something that will sound real good for the money. However, I don't want to spend any more than $50 on these things. I assume that buying some aftermarket earbuds will give me much better sound quality than whatever an MP3 player will come with.

Any recommendations? Any ones to stay away from?

Thanx in advance,

-YB

For around $50, maybe a little over, I suggest Shure E2c. I do not have them (Sennheiser HD580), but many people have them and like them. They will give a significant improvement over stock.

The Etymoytic ER6's and the Shure E2's are both around $100, they are more than you are willing to spend but I think you would notice a good improvement when spending the extra cash on them. If you can I would suggest saving up the extra cash for these earphones.

Alright thanx guys! I'm now probably going to spend more.

The primary reasons for me getting these is so that I can listen to music while I snowboard. So, they're going to have to stay in my ears as I sail through the air and/or crash. Does anybody know if both the Etymoytic ER6s and the Shure E2Cs will stay in my ears well enough? I am also looking for something that will be very comfortable for 6-8 hours of use... will both of the aforementioned earbuds satisfy that requirement?

Thanx again!

-YB

For the purposes of, and in equal importance: 1. High comfort level, 2. Being very secure (for snowboarding, etc.), and 3. Sounding good,

do you think that the Shure E2Cs are well worth the extra cost over the Sony EX-81s? What about the Etymotic ER-6is over the Shures?

Thanx!

-YB

So you think the Sony EX-81s will be stay in my ears better (must withstand snowboard crashes of varying proportions) than the Shure E2/E2Cs and the Etymotic E6Is? What about the durability of each? Depending on a few things, I might compromise the audio quality for durability and staying in my ear well and comfortability. Yea, that's another thing, comfort is high priority. Thanx thus far!

-YB

Get these brands: Shure, Sennheiser and Sony, how odd that they all begin with S.

But if you are looking for better sound quality overall and better battery-life for those long trips, get a iRiver. And get a flash based one, I doubt that the HD ones will like getting into a crash very much.

Back