• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS A8V Deluxe Overclocking Guide -- Discussion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ran memtest and got an erro on the 3rd pass on test 6

called ocz and they say to run memtest on each dim individually and see if it is just one bad module.....

i will report back

Great! But we still don't know if it was just a bad part or if something else caused the RAM to fail. If you get errors on both sticks, try a cheap 256 Mb stick.If no errors show up, we can safely remove other factors out of the equation.

too late - total system failure......

the board/cpu/ram/psu are all being rma'd

probably going to go with the same cpu same ram same psu but i am leaning towards the msi neo 2 board this go around...

arctic-k20 said:
too late - total system failure......

the board/cpu/ram/psu are all being rma'd

probably going to go with the same cpu same ram same psu but i am leaning towards the msi neo 2 board this go around...

Lol. I don't think your CPU/Mobo or PSU was guilty :)

Remember that most problems can be isolated quickly by systematic inspection/testing and its fun to actually learn what exactly went wrong before RMA'ing the whole rig! Ofcourse it takes up a bit of time and requires loads of patience!

Good Luck with your new setup! :beer:

Problem with VDIMM setting.

I moved this here per request :)

Can't set VDIMM to 2.8 on Asus A8V Rev 2.0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm using two 512mb DDR sticks of Crucial Ballistix PC4000 ram. I'm trying to get my system to OC but having a lot of trouble.. what I've done so far:

Set the HT bus to 2x (400Mhz)
Locked AGP at 66
Fired up Clockgen and found I could go to 2.3 HTT with no problems
Went to 2.4 and system locked up
So, started playing with memory first.. I set VDIMM to 2.8 and I can't boot into windows.

My specs are:

Asus A8V Deluxe Rev 2.0
Winchester 3500+ 90nm 939
74Gb Raptor 10k
300 Gb Maxtor 16mb
Gainward 6800 GT
1024 (2x512) Crucial Ballistix PC4000
Water cooled

I haven't done anything to the Bios settings other than listed above (HT 2x and locked AGP to 66)

Anyone that can offer me any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Thanks for moving your post here :D
What are your tempratures?
Look at my settings in this thread ,and at the excellet compedium here:-
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=319185 (Post#3)

Also please post your settings in the BIOS (verbatim if possible).
I can run @ HTT 5x and FSB 267 on air. You should be able to kill us all on water :).

I don't think Clockgen supports the VIA 8KT800Pro chipset. Look carefully there is no 8KT800 Pro. I would OC from the BIOS only.

Good Luck!

VDIMM problem.

Literally, my BIOS settings are all factor default (no OCing).. the ONLY change I made was setting VDIMM to 2.8 and Windows won't boot when I do that. I think I'll run memtest to see if thats the issue.. bad memory perhaps?

Update: I can run at 2.8V DIMM with just one DIMM in B1, but putting the second DIMM In A1 I cannot boot to Windows w/ 2.8V.

Help.. so much power, I want to OC!

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited:
I hate my a8v(at the moment)

Hi Guys,
I have issues with my new rig,

av8 delux rev 2.0
amd 3500 (artic silver3 - 55 dc under load, 38 dc idle)
twin xms 3200ll 1 GB
sparkle 6800 gt 256
2x 80gb ide wd
1x dvdrom and 1x dvdr
Thermaltake alloy case thingy with shiet loads of fans
Antec 480 TP PSU
Win XP sp2, drivers updated and bios 107 but will goto 108 asap

Requests and issues:

1. Could some guru gamming tech please post some bios setting to help me set this rig up right eg: in dumb *** language please or screenies.
My ram is ment to be set at:
TWINX1024-3200LL DDR-400 (PC-3200) 1GB Kit (2 x 512MB) 2-3-2-6 (ramguy)
I am not sure how to do this with all the new terminolgy listed in the a8v bios.

2. Lock up issues that i assume that are ramm related, I play BHD online and without fail my system locks up probably every 3 maps, I reboot and then the system wont post, I then reset the bios that works some times but others the dam thing says 'cant boot due to overclocking' ????
I have not overclocked anything as the sytem is unstable.

I have read a post relating to the ramm being placed in 1a and 2a to help with this issue - but does this not defeat the purpose of dual channel ramm?

Thanks for your time and if you can help please do!!

Evo ICQ 65322367

Well, after much problems obtaining this very choice MB in Oz, finding it to be a 1.02 rev, finding the warehouse i got it from to have no 2.0 boards, swapping it (and paying a whole lot more) for a gigabyte k8nsnxp and it not likeing my "walletbuster" corsair xms-pro ram, i think i will wait for the RMA rev2.0 board to come back in stock, grab it, a 3000+939 (if i can get one, although with the time it takes asus to do an RMA in australia being nearly 3 months they should be avaliable on the shelf :p ) and write it all off to experiance.

/me twitches at haveing to run ddr400c2 ram at c3 just to get a system stable

any tips on gaining some stabilty?

running ocz 3200 plat rev2 @ 250 1:1 2.5-4-3-10 using 2.8v as i type this message but it is not even close to stable....the HT bus is @ 800 (x4) ...

not sure what else i can do but this ram should smoke?? what am i doing wrong or am i just stuck with expensive ram that wont o/c as well as everybody else's is???

is it true that you have to increase vcore when you raise the htt bus even if your final cpu speed will be the same as stock settings?? i have read elsewhere that *** htt goes up so does the vcore to stay stable?

i may have the terminology wrong but what i mean is i want to keep the cpu at stock freq so i can see how the ram will scale.....

but i have been up to this point keeping the vcore at stock since the effective cpu speed is still stock but the ram is running at 250 x 9(cpu multi) but stability isnt there - i guess i should be upping the vcore.....

and 250 1:1 using 1T is not stable at all and 2T is somewhat stable but not rock solid =(

Warpig:
"Welcome to the Forums"[COLOR]

Please give me more information i.e BIOS settings, Temprature and Voltage readouts from both the BIOS and ASUS Probe and Internet settings (are you on dialup?). There could be a variety of reasons why your computer crashes when you play BHD (gotto love the Carbine/M203 :) ).

Good Luck!

A couple questions

I've heard of issues regarding the board failing to pass Prime tests with the 1008 BIOS even at stock speeds... Any truth to this? Apparently the issues weren't present with 1007 nor the latest beta of 1009 (02). Psilo something from these same boards was commenting on this...

Think I'm gonna stick with 1007 for now and just give it 1.6v to avoid the voltage bug (I've got a Winchester part), 'till ASUS releases an official 1009. Unless I run into problems with 1007 anyway...

Edit: I also noticed VIA has actually recommended recently that users do not install the AGP portion of their 4in1 drivers when using SP2 for WinXP and instead let the rig use the MS driver... Supposedly more stable that way. I asked other users and they said they had no problems with the 4in1s though so I guess first-hand experience is worth more.

Any further info regarding that?

Edit #2: It seems to me that a few people have had trouble pushing 2.8v to the vdimm even though conventional OC wisdom dictates that the RAM will usually perform better up to that point with more juice. Could be their particular PSU's fault... Or it could be something else.

I only mention this (normally I try to avoid speculation) because I also read of one or two people actually achieving increased stability leaving the vdimm at Auto, which with most performance RAM sticks means 2.7 (as that's what it'll read off the stick). Again, anyone got info on this or just a small anomally?

Last edited:
Well I've ran my vdimm at both 2.7 and 2.8 with no problems. The ramguy suggests 2.75 for my ram so I run 2.8 mostly.

Athlon 64 3500+ NewCastle
Asus A8V Deluxe Rev 2 1009.02
Corsair TwinX1024-3200C2PT (2.5-3-3-6)
ATI X800XT PE
SB Audigy 2ZS
2 SATA 80gig Hatachi HD
Thermaltake Pipe101 with 80mm Fan 3000prm

System is overclocked at:
10x250
CPU 1.57v

Memory lock 2:1 (DDR400) which is 1:1 (memory is running at 250mhz)

Temps are 32 idle and around 48 load with a nice thin layer of AC5. Had the AC5 on to thick when I first set it up and was about 42 ilde and around 58-60 load. Putting AC5 on thin makes a big difference with temps.

Now when I first set up my system I was running raid 0. I set a lower multiplier and bumped the HTT (FSB) up to 272. It ran at first but totaly foobarred my raid 0. I had to reformat and ended up ditching the raid setup.

I've ran my system at 10x262, which ran aquamark fine but couldn't hold stable with anyhting else.

Currently I'm running 1009.02 without any problems and seems to be better then 1008.

I've ran Sandra but don't know what the crap means.. I will take some screenies and post them later... let you guys tell me what you think...

Back