• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS A8V Deluxe Overclocking Guide -- Discussion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
need help overclocking

Im am new to overclocking and need help, i have had my system up and running for 1 month now
I mainly use it for my audio studio, audio processing and some web design for my website, and some graphic design mainly in adobephotoshop

I want to get more preformance out of my processor but dont want to push it to its limit

Runing Windows XP Pro SP2

ASUS "K8V SE Deluxe" K8T800 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 754 CPU "I think I got a REV 1.12 board"

AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 512KB L2 Cache 64-bit Processor

Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, (Twin Pack) 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200

SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9600XT Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "ULTIMATE RADEON 9600XT

Seagate 80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive

Seagate 200GB 7200RPM Barracuda 7200.7 SATA Hard Drive

Thermaltake W0013 Silent Purepower 480W with Silver housing - Xaser Edition ATX 2-Fan Power Supply

Thermaltake UFO#2 BLUE UV 90mm Cooling Fan

Thermalright Heatsink for P4 & K8 CPUs, Model "XP-90"

Any help would be great, I am new to this so any help would be great
thanks

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What are your tempratures? How many case fans do you have? It is important that you have decent cooling before you OC. Good choice with the XP-90 and the Corsair XMS.

Read these first and get back to me if you don't understand something or if you have any questions:-
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=263753
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=83663

I started out reading the above pages. Excellent information in there.
Its good to understand what's going on before you plunge headlong into OC'ing.

I'm always around, so feel free to ask questions.

I have washed my hands of this problem. I am going back to Intel. Because of the problems I've had with 3 different motherboards and 2 different CPUs I have decided that the compatablity issues are not worth any more of my time at the moment. I have never had such a problem with a processor. I suppose it was just BIOS issues all along seeing as how it is new tech on the Winnies, but the 2 flashes I performed on my 2 different MSI boards with no luck, and the failed flashing on the ASUS board... I am sure it is an outstanding CPU and it is my loss, but all of the trouble this thing has given me, it's just not worth it.

How can i find the temp of my processor? besides going into bios?

i have 1 120mm fan in front of case and one in back sucking air through and i one on side sucking air in, this is my case

Thermaltake VA3000 Dream Tower Black Tsunami VA3000BWA ATX Case with Transparent X type side panel window

Cooling System: 1 x 120mm front fan, 1 x 90mm side fan, 1 x 120mm Blue LED rear fan

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=11-133-132&DEPA=1

plus my cpu fan which is 90mm fan

Looks good. What are your tempratures i.e idle/load ?
Did you find the links I posted useful? Its good to start off with those first.
We'll sort out the issues as they crop up. The first order of business is cooling. If that's good, we can move onto the next step.

i dont know where to find the temps @ idle/load do i need to enter bios to find that info?

yes the links you posted are great so much info it will take me a while to read it all :thup:

That's very cool! What does speed fan say?
List out all the Temps reported by speedfan. Its good to have temps from atleast 2 different programs to remove any doubts.

speedfan says fan 2009rpm

temp 1 27c
temp 2 30c
vcore 1.54v
+3.3v 3.34v
+5v 5.03v
+12v 11.07v
-12v 0.06v
-5v 5.11v
+5vsb 5.54v
vbat 0.26v

Can't get Promise to boot

Greetings,

done all the reading on this topic I can. Trying to switch from Via SATA to Promise to avoid documented OC'ing troubles. I follow the posted instructions, but Windows refuses to boot. I load the Promise driver as required, then first just exited Windows setup at first try. The ran a couple of Repair functions, like fixmbr. Still get same result: The SATA scan shows my drive, it is first in boot lineup, but I get to the windows failed to boot last time... screen and any selection (ie safemode, normal, last known good) all fail to boot, and the system reboots itself.

Any ideas?

A8V Rev 2 bios 1009 beta
3500 Winchester
2xCorair VS 1Gb
Maxtor SATA 80Gb
9600XT
Raidmax 420w

thanks for any help,
james

A8V Overclocking Issue

anyone have issues when trying to overclock past 240 FSB, i get memtest errors.
Ive tried dropping cpu multi, Htt multi, upping timings to 3-4-4-10
my voltages are at 1.7 tried lower and higher idle temp of 0c, water chiller
fx-53, ocz pc4200 el plat
right now at 240x12, 1.75 volts 2-3-3-10 @2.8v
i tried ocz 3200el plat rev 2 in it but they didnt go past 245.

i really wanna push these sticks as high as they go with trcd and trp at 3.
goal 270x12 at 2-3-3-10.

I think you have reached the limit of your RAM at 2:1 (DDR400). You have to run it at 5:6 DDR(333) henceforth if you want to up the CPU Multiplier.
An important result you have got is the max stable DDR frequency=240 MHz.
Use this as a base and set the CPU Multiplier accordingly.

Look at the table in the memory settings section for sample calculations:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=332591

captgjimmie said:
Greetings,

done all the reading on this topic I can. Trying to switch from Via SATA to Promise to avoid documented OC'ing troubles. I follow the posted instructions, but Windows refuses to boot. I load the Promise driver as required, then first just exited Windows setup at first try. The ran a couple of Repair functions, like fixmbr. Still get same result: The SATA scan shows my drive, it is first in boot lineup, but I get to the windows failed to boot last time... screen and any selection (ie safemode, normal, last known good) all fail to boot, and the system reboots itself.

Any ideas?

A8V Rev 2 bios 1009 beta
3500 Winchester
2xCorair VS 1Gb
Maxtor SATA 80Gb
9600XT
Raidmax 420w

thanks for any help,
james

James, could you tell me how you ran the fixmbr, i.e did u run it off the cd?
Did you see a screen during the install telling you that there's an exsisting windows partition and you can repair it?
Try switching back to the VIA controller and lets check if your Windows install has been corrupted.

Do you see the SATA in the BIOS. There are 2 ways to check this:-
Look under the Boot submenu for Boot Device priority. Check if you see your SATA there and that its the first Boot Device. Next check that its detected when you boot up, i.e you should see something on the lines of....

...UltraDMA....Maxtor 76Gb....etc.

I'd recommend an XP reinstall as a last resort so get back to me after you checked this out. Also post the all BIOS settings under the Peripheral's configuration (Maybe the system devices configuration submenu).
One last thing, you should select OnBoard operating IDE mode and BootRom=Yes , Plug and Play OS =YES.

Super Nade said:
James, could you tell me how you ran the fixmbr, i.e did u run it off the cd?
Did you see a screen during the install telling you that there's an exsisting windows partition and you can repair it?
Try switching back to the VIA controller and lets check if your Windows install has been corrupted.

Do you see the SATA in the BIOS. There are 2 ways to check this:-
Look under the Boot submenu for Boot Device priority. Check if you see your SATA there and that its the first Boot Device. Next check that its detected when you boot up, i.e you should see something on the lines of....

...UltraDMA....Maxtor 76Gb....etc.

I'd recommend an XP reinstall as a last resort so get back to me after you checked this out. Also post the all BIOS settings under the Peripheral's configuration (Maybe the system devices configuration submenu).
One last thing, you should select OnBoard operating IDE mode and BootRom=Yes , Plug and Play OS =YES.

Super Nade,

thank you very much for the reply.

On my first attempt I followed the instructions, F6 and gave it the Promise drivers on a disk, then exited setup when it got to the first options window or install, repair or quit. The machine boot looped at the Windows Safe Mode options screen. So I did it again. Same result. Then I thought I'd try the repair function as somene has mentioned. I simply went intot he repair application and then exited. Same boot loop. Well I thought I might need to do something inthe repair app for some reason. I scanned the mbr, it said it was either corrupted or non-standard. So I excited and switched the whole thing back to the Via driver. The machine booted fine. So I went back to the Promise and once again into the Repair app on the Windows install disk and ran a fixmbr. Same boot loop. Switched back to Via, booted no problems.

Answers to your questions:
1. Yes I ran fixmbr off the disk
2. boots on Via controller no prob
3. When configured for Promise controller, I see the drive both in the bios and in the SATA scan as you mention
4. Settings:
Audio Enabled
Onchip SATA Bootrom (Via controller) same result if En or Disen
O/B Promise Enabled in O/B IDE mode
O/B Lan en, but boot not enabled
O/B 1394 enabled
5. I changed OS P'n'P to Yes, but still does boot loop...

Hope this gives you the info you need.

thank you so much once more,
james

Super Nade said:
That's very cool! What does speed fan say?
List out all the Temps reported by speedfan. Its good to have temps from atleast 2 different programs to remove any doubts.

I noticed that when I used MBM5, the final version, it reported my temps incorrectly, the only option is for the Deluxe WIFI, all revisions, I have the deluxe non wifi. the temps were either reversed (case higher than the cpu, and the cpu was abnormally low) or just the cpu was off calibration. not sure, I uninstalled it and then installed the latest updated probe, and now the temps seem normal, 25 case, 37 Idle and mid 40's loaded. I am running at 1.55 vcore with an XP-90, 260 FSB X 10. it will do 270 but with 1.75 volts and I am not that daring to use it that high everyday.

Welcome To The Forums you guys!!!!

James,
Did you use these drivers?
http://www.asus.com.tw/support/down...=1&m_id=1&f_name=378ata_100104528.zip~zaqwedc

Sometimes, using the RAID drivers when not in RAID mode can muck things up. If this fails, I can think of nothing else (ATM) but a reinstall of XP (not reformat+reinstall, just reinstall). If you are comfortable using the VIA and have no current problems, continue to do so. The reason I said not to use the VIA was because typically people who exceeded 260~270 FSB experienced problems.

Beanster:
I would not recommend 1.75V eventhough your tempratures look good. What are the specs of your system?

Well, those temps are at 1.55, I just threw my system specs in my siggy via the profile and sig editor, lets see if it works now.

And Super Nade, thanks for all the effort you have put in your A8V threads, I was about to throw the towel in on this board and purchase a K8N Neo2, but thanks to your compilation of threads and a little time to read through them the end result was satisfaction with this mainboard. :)

Super Nade said:
Welcome To The Forums you guys!!!!

James,
Did you use these drivers?
http://www.asus.com.tw/support/down...=1&m_id=1&f_name=378ata_100104528.zip~zaqwedc

Sometimes, using the RAID drivers when not in RAID mode can muck things up. If this fails, I can think of nothing else (ATM) but a reinstall of XP (not reformat+reinstall, just reinstall). If you are comfortable using the VIA and have no current problems, continue to do so. The reason I said not to use the VIA was because typically people who exceeded 260~270 FSB experienced problems.

Beanster:
I would not recommend 1.75V eventhough your tempratures look good. What are the specs of your system?

Super Nade,

I just went ahead and re-installed XP ontop of the existing installation. Everything is working just fine now. Thank you for your help. Now, back to your extensive OC'ing guide to see what I can get of this thing.

Thanks again and take care,
james

Super Nade said:
The reason I said not to use the VIA was because typically people who exceeded 260~270 FSB experienced problems.

I am using the via, I wonder if this is why I can't get past here, maybe I will change over to the promise.

Back