• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking with stock cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Swatdog

Hey guys, I want to OC my CPU, but I can't afford a larger HSF or water cooling, so I was wondering how far I could push my CPU/components in a case with a temp of around 15-20C and on average a CPU at 29C on idle and 35+ on load (cant really be sure tho). My ram has aluminum sinks on them so they should be able to be pushed alittle aswell.

Thanks!

So long as your overall load temp is under 60c* then you will have no issues whatsoever. The only real benefit of having exotic cooling is to be able to use aggrerssive vcore. So long as your temps are in spec...max her out

Before Barton stock cooling, you couldn't OC with a stock heat sink to speak of (That includes Athlon XP Thoroughbreds and earlier).

Now you can push it but always watch your temps.

Yeah I have set my mobo to yell at me if my CPU is over 60C.

60C is ok for the 3400+ CPU?

I'm trying to use nVidia System Utility to OC my rig, but when I do OC it, and apply the changes it says "Settings will only apply for this session." and I hit "OK" and I restart my PC and its back to normal again (not OCed)! :eh?: I'm I missing something here? What's the point of OCing it with nVidia System Utility if it only stays until you restart? lol

I got my rig up to 2604MHz (2411MHz stock) and my CPU die was only 29-30C on idle.

Also, my RAM settings stayed. I changed my RAS to CAS delay settings, and they stayed after I restarted. I dont get it... :bang head

Last edited:
that sounds like the socket temp to me, i had an asus k8v and had temps for 28 idle, then 33 odd load. When i moved to my DFI 250gb it read the cpu diode (correct temp of the cpu) and im getting 40 odd idle, and 50 ish load.

I wouldnt push your socket temp past 37, as the cpu would be at about 60C if its the same as my board

Swatdog said:
I'm trying to use nVidia System Utility to OC my rig, but when I do OC it, and apply the changes it says "Settings will only apply for this session." and I hit "OK" and I restart my PC and its back to normal again (not OCed)! :eh?: I'm I missing something here? What's the point of OCing it with nVidia System Utility if it only stays until you restart? lol

I got my rig up to 2604MHz (2411MHz stock) and my CPU die was only 29-30C on idle.

Also, my RAM settings stayed. I changed my RAS to CAS delay settings, and they stayed after I restarted. I dont get it... :bang head

Thats what happens when you software OC it.. just be a man and change it in the bios... :beer:

SavageBasher said:
Thats what happens when you software OC it.. just be a man and change it in the bios... :beer:

lol :) I would, but I dont have the option to. Quite wierd :( The only option I see even remotely close to OCing was the HT multiplier (currently on 4x) and it has the option of going up to 6x+ I believe. :confused:

Last edited:
Schalldampfer said:
I find that ClockGen works well for mine.

I tried ClockGen as well as nVidia System Utilities, but I dont think ClockGen supports my mobo - I didn't find it in the list.

shuRe said:
that sounds like the socket temp to me, i had an asus k8v and had temps for 28 idle, then 33 odd load. When i moved to my DFI 250gb it read the cpu diode (correct temp of the cpu) and im getting 40 odd idle, and 50 ish load.

I wouldnt push your socket temp past 37, as the cpu would be at about 60C if its the same as my board

I don't know, those temps seem about right. I felt the HS and it wasnteven near warm, possibly even felt a hint of coldness. I know the HS is making good contact with the die, because I recently bought the Nanotherm PCM+ thermal grease and applied it (works wonders).

Swatdog said:
I tried ClockGen as well as nVidia System Utilities, but I dont think ClockGen supports my mobo - I didn't find it in the list.

Sorry to hear that. My newbie suggestions are now all out. Oh... and when I clocked my A64 3200+ to 2.4ghz, the temperature went up to about 50C with 2 scans going on. Should I be worried? It's an Asus K8V SE Deluxe.

Schalldampfer said:
Sorry to hear that. My newbie suggestions are now all out. Oh... and when I clocked my A64 3200+ to 2.4ghz, the temperature went up to about 50C with 2 scans going on. Should I be worried? It's an Asus K8V SE Deluxe.

Somewhat high, but still within safe limits. You just need some better cooling if you plan on overclocking again.

deception``

Swatdog said:

yeah it does, it's under the nvidia nforce 250 chipset software. All nforce 150/250 mobos work with clockgen.

Well I figured out how to sucessfully OC in my BIOS, and I OCed my CPU to about 2.567 GHz and I played a CPU intense game on it for about an hour and saw that the temp was at 50C. Is that alittle too much? I know that you guys said that I can maybe push it to 60C but no more.

2.567GHz (or very similar) @ 1.5v (voltage ok?)

Back