• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upgrading watercooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alinosa

actually i'm only upgrading the block(s). Right now i have a maze 3 on my cpu and i have a gf4 ti block from dangerden. I'm looking to replace both of these and get one for my nb, since i had to put a fan on it when i got my new memory. I'd like to get the most effiicent one for each part, and hopefully they would match in appearance (since i have a window, might as well be nice to look at. I have a nice little chunk of change to throw at this so i'd like to do it right the first time around (second really).

So what do you think? I was thinking either the swiftech mcw6000 or the dangerden rbx-style blocks (1 in and 2 out) for the CPU. For the NB i guess the mc20 from swiftech, and i don't know about the video since my 6600 gt will be here monday and NO ONE has a block for it yet. Hence i'm still looking. I've got an ehiem 1250 so i don't think i'll need a new pump, especially since this one is still going strong and is silent compared to the PSU fans. Would an Iwaki pump be that much better than the one i have now?

I would REALLY like one of CATHAR's blocks, but i just don't think it will happen... :cry: but who knows?

thnx in advance

allen

Last edited:
well, i dont really think you need a nb block, it just restricts flow and adds more heat to the loop. Theres a big debate about that, but overall it shouldnt really give you any preformance increase, just get rid of a fan. The swiftech mcx-159a would be great though. Its a heatsink and fan, not a waterblock, but its only at 18dba and preforms very well. Its a little cheaper than the water blocks too. But if you are insistant on getting a nb block, the swiftech mcw20 is good, least flow restriction out of all the nb blocks i believe.

for the cpu, the mcw6000 (or 6002 if you have 1/2" ID tubing) is great, its cheap and offers great preformance, equal or better than the RBX or TDX, and without the third barb, so tubing routing is easier. Its also all copper, even though you could get the brass top for the DD block, but its the same preformance wise.

Your pump is fine, an Iwaki would be better, yes, but kind of unnecessary. The eheim should do fine with just the cpu and gpu block. If you add an NB block, that might hurt things a little, another reason not to get it.

Finally, as for your card, I would just wait and see. It is entirley possible that its holes are the same or very simillar to the 6800 cards, or even some other series. Chances are you could mod some block to fit on there, and a block or adapter will undoubtedly come out soon for the 6600 series. I say just wait, i bet within a month there will be an easy solution to get a block onto that card, most likley less time than that. If nothing else, you could always concoct your own contraption and do it yourself!

thnx for the reply achilles. The biggest concern for cooling the NB with a block is the noise. I've got a 40 mm fan forcing air through a "custom" shroud that moves air out only one side of the sink so it blows over the mosfets too. this way they all stay warm instead of burning hot. But it's like hearing a turbo spool up on a car... kind of cool at first but ends up being like a bug in your ear. I've thought about just adapting my maze 3 to the 6600gt but i haven't gotten the card yet (comes in tomorrow the 6th of Dec) so i'll take a look. The only thing that gives me pause is the funky PCI-E( or X not sure) converter that has it's own sink... i dunno what i'll be doing about that... but rest assured, water will be moving heat off that card eventually.

i forgot to add a quick question.. on the nb and gpu blocks, there is a funny looking connector. No barb just a hole with a piece of plastic (I have a pic)

what is this??? all my parts have 1/2 inch barbs, and this looks dangerous... is it? and is it easier than wrestling 3/8 inch tygon onto 1/2 inch barbs?

how do they work? do i need special tubing?

thnx

Attachments

• mcw50bkfull.jpg
    mcw50bkfull.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
You shouldnt have to worry about connectors, I think what you do is you just attach those little plastic things to the end of your tubes (they fit on easily), and then snap them into place in the waterblock. I think you would only need an extra piece if you have 1/2" ID tubing, to convert it to the 3/8" barbs, but you should be fine there.

Also, the MCX-159 makes next to no noise, 18 dba is practically inaudible, so dont worry about that. As for your custom mosfet cooling, you can always replace the 40mm fan with something bigger, just create a shroud for the shroud so the fan doesnt have a ginormous deadspot. Or you could take it out all together, if you sink up your mosfets and have a decent amount of air flowing through your case, you should be ok unless you have an absolutly rediculous overclock going. a 120mm blowhole should suffice, with some other fans taking in air. I just have 2 quiet 80mm fans in the back and a 120mm fan on top as exhaust, and my intake are my 2 120mm fans on my heatercore. So the air that goes in the case is kinda warm, but its not like my mosfets are burning hot, and I have my 3.0C at 270 FSB.

Also, hows the card look? look like theres any way to mount a block thats already out there on it, or will you have to wait for some kinda adapter?

well the card is... different. the gpu is rotated~45 degrees on the pcb. and the bridge chip is too. In another thread someone mentioned the bridge chip not getting hot, but mine is still warmer than i'd like. Hopefully, the bridge chip and gpu are the same height, because my maze3 looks like it will cover both. i just need to figure out how to mount it. i might only cover the gpu with the block and put one of the thermaltake ramsinks i have laying around on it. We'll see though, and again, thnx for the info.

Back