• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Centrino vs celeron, price vs battery life

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jenko

My brothers girl friend has asked me to look around for a decent laptop as he is self employed and he needs one for work, and she is going to get it him for Xmas top girl hey?

I know the centino is great and the celeron isnt but all laptops with the centrino seem very exspensive.
He is mainly going to be doing stuff that i guess a celeron D 2.8ghz will be able to handle easy i.e word proccessing and photoshop and slide shows so i guess 512mb will be needed for photoshop rigth?
What is best software for doing professional slide shows?

Have been building pcs for years but hate laptops so im not to savy i just think if she buys a really exspensive laptop its potential will never be used.
Thanks ryan.

hmm anything that's cpu intensive your gonna want that pentium M for. I would goto www.fatwallet.com and try to find some deals on dells laptops. Also centrino is just a buzz word, the CPU is the pentium M...centrino refers to having 3 things or something along with the pentium M...not improtant really.
and another thing is the battery life...Pentium M's are just splain sweet.

When I buy or help someone buy a laptop I ALWAYS get the least amount of RAM they will sell you and buy my own and put it in, They charge way too much to add ram, and its just as easy to put in as it is on a desktop.

I would look very hard for a P-M in your price range, expecially for doing Photoshop. Even if it is not a Centrino, a Pentium M is the same processor. Centrino is just one if Intel's chipsets (forgot which one) that includes built in wireless and a P-M processor, as ajrettke said.

ajrettke said:
it's 100mhz slower, but is 60lbs less, has a larger screen, and a 9700 video card.
when I read that I thought you meant it weighed 60lbs less, lol. :D

about the celeron

about the celeron, the Centrino I heard is a super-charged Celeron with wireless internet. But its not bad.

ComPuterFreak90 said:
about the celeron, the Centrino I heard is a super-charged Celeron with wireless internet. But its not bad.
I don't think that is the case, Pentium M (the chip the Centrino chipset is based on) runs at much lower clock speeds than Celerons yet perform quite better. I think the chips are very different.

Is pentuim M the bainas(spelling)with 1mb cache and the centrino the dothan with 2Mb cache?

The samsung looks ok same spec as the acer but £60 odd pound cheaper not sure on the video though.

Does Acer have a good build quality?
Thanks for the replies ryan.

not sure on builld quality...I'd say if possible run into a store that has em and feel similar models...in general companys construct all laptops the same....
Also no centrino is simply a chipset with wireless capabilities, a pentrium M, and one other thing I can't remember...you can get a "centrino" with both dothan and bainas.

Also video shouldn't be too important unless he wants to game....so if cash is a concern...

ajrettke said:
Also no centrino is simply a chipset with wireless capabilities, a pentrium M, and one other thing I can't remember...you can get a "centrino" with both dothan and bainas.

That's pretty much correct. The Centrino standard is defined as having an Intel mini-PCI wireless adaptor, an Intel 855 Chipset and the Pentium M, and a manufacturer can only sell a notebook as a Centrino if it has all three (ie, if the Wifi is not Intel, then it's not Centrino).
Basically Centrino is little more than marketing, it's more important to look for the Pentium M.

How about this Dell £600 inc tax and deliverly so she might be able to get it cheaper if she can get the tax back.

1.4Ghz dothan 2mb L2 cache
256mb ddr333
40gb hardrive
15" screen
dvd-rom/cd writer

The only problem i can see is the 256mb ram but my local shop sell 256mb sticks for £30
Dell wont nearly £100 to upgrade to 512mb(just a extra 256mb) lol.

jenko said:
The only problem i can see is the 256mb ram but my local shop sell 256mb sticks for £30
Dell wont nearly £100 to upgrade to 512mb(just a extra 256mb) lol.
Exactly man, they charge WAY too much for more RAM, always put it in yourself.

Are dell laptops ok?as im not keen on most of there desktops.

don't know what your pricerange is but i just picked up an acer laptop with the following specs and it rocks so far.

acer 4501
1.5ghz pentium m
512mb ddr400
40gb hd partitioned into 2x18gb drives with a 2gb hidden partition
radeon 9700 mobility
3in1 card reader
dvd+-rw
15.4 wxga
built in wireless g
built in 10/100
built in modem
winXP Pro

came out to $1500us

my only complaint about this thing is the hd. the size is normal but the partitions aren't. it came with winxp pro but for some reason acer used the fat32 filesystem. a quick format of the D drive and a quick command in command prompt and its running ntfs. i don't know why they used fat32 but at least its easy to change.

i would never get a celery.. laptops are already underpowered compared to a desktp and adding a celeron to the mix just makes it al that much worse.

I got a Dell laptop not too long ago, and it depends on the model, but over all they aren't too bad. But it just depends on the model you get and what you get. But it sounds good on what you got.

We found somewhere thats sells this toshiba for £700

1.5ghz dothan
512mb ram ddr333
40gb harddrive
dvd-writer
15" screen

I had a play in the show room and man im very impressed it was lightening fast but they are out of stock and the P4 rigs where more exspensive and had less battery life who would buy on of these as a mains free notebook.

Back