• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dremel sucks! Then I thought about it!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diurnal

Registered
So I got the dremel and used it and it sucked it was not powerful enough. So I went out and bought a drill and holesaw. Cut through metal like plastic.So i was like the dremel sucks. Then I thought about it and got out in the work shop and had a different gameplan with the dremel.I lapped it instead of just going in there and thinkin it was going to cut the metal in 2 seconds. So i took my time and it s ausome, you can get the precision with no other tool..:D Try the scroll saw but no it just doesnt work like the dremel.The precision is unbelievable!! Thanks to the posts on this site, I didnt take the dremel back, and now i have a wonderful tool. Man I can make ausome money on this tool.Thanks again OVERCLOCKERS FORUM!

didn't the holesaw work better for round holes? I am thinking of getting a 92 and 120mm holesaw cuz dremel take too much time and I have a 18volt dewault that would cut cases like butter and then clean it up with a dremel to look more professional.

Wahey, a dremel convert! Welcome to the world of dremel :D

Seriously though, I do sometimes hear people panning dremels, saying they're no good - I think it's usually a case that they're just using it wrong, not that the tool's crap. I love my dremel :)

Yes the hole saw cut faster than the dremel. But you have to make sure that there is a drill bit in the middle so it will not get squirrly on you.The drill bit grasps the middle so it will cut better. I think I like the dremel better though, its safer and more precise. It takes time but once you get used to it , its better.Lapping it around the hole with the circle bit (cutoff bit) is the best way. However the holesaw is more powerful and it takes less time. The holesaw does do a perfect cut and is easier. But i think the dremel is still better, as long as your patient.I would recommend the dremel before the holesaw, but you got to get some experience on the dremel to appreciate its true value.

Just look at the beauty I've created with my dremel :D

Another great thing is you can drill holes for a fanbus or handle, sand down your windows to size, etc. I love it, truly the tool of an artist :p

I love my dremel, crap I can use it as a drill press if I got the accessory :). But I do prefer hole saws for fan holes, because they are quick and have good precision to boot. But of course, if you have no money, just get a dremel, and get something to practice on. The small holes are too hard for me, but I used my dremel on my case window. These hole saws are freaking expensive too: 30$ for a 4.5" hole saw and 12$ for a mandrel to fit it, and now I have to get a frikkin shank adapter so I can fit the mandrel into my drill, sheeesh.

I've only broken one cutting circle, which I admit was my own fault...I was using one of the really thin ones on my case, and I was going a little fast, too. Felt it hit my cheek before I realized what had happened...no, I wasn't bleeding or anything - might have been a cool scar, though, hardcore! :p

It just takes patience and finding the sweet spots of bit, speed, and length at a time.

OK I have a question... how do you get a dremel to cut the round holes for fans? Ive done a few and took forever, which was due to me just going real slow... the time isnt what concerns me. What I dont understand is how you can get a good round hole? Like Ive said Ive done it but I had to go back afterwards and spend even more time just to get the rouhgness out of the edges... How can you go circular with it? I basiclly had to go peice by peice into the metal, out then down a little over - and do this repeatedly until the circle was cut... Any suggestions as to how I might be doing this wrong? or? is this commonplace?

thanks..............

Dremel rules

I've used a 3.2 mm High Speed Cutter (194) for making round holes in plastic. I haven't tried metals, but I think you'd just have to go slower...

BTW, I'm new to the forums here and don't want to break any of your rules. Normally, I would include a direct link to the product page at Dremel's website. Would that be OK?

as long as its not your webpage and your not the one selling the dremels then ya its fine.

Mord-Sith, thanks for clearing that up :).

I'm still learning how this fine forum works and I'd rather ask than break the rules.

For making a circle, you want to start out a little bit towards the center, and go out to the edge from there, but not in a straight line...you have to coax it to go in a curved motion, but it's not very hard. Just make sure you outline the edge of the circle with masking tape. You go around the circle slowly, should only take you like 20 mins to go around, then afterwards you need to use one of the more heavy duty looking sanders and go around the edges to both smooth off and fix any straightish lines.

Does the hole saw need to be oiled for best performance? Can WD40 be a oil, what s the best? And how long does those hole saw blades last ?

hmmm, ive found that if you set the rpms to 3, and you cut across the cricles like a cross, then form the circle you can get a 120mm hole in about 30-60 mins....ive found(at the suggestion of someone on the forum) that i can use 1 crappy cut out wheels to cut through about 2 aluminum heatsinks(unless i screw up and break the wheel :()

Back