• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[A8V] HTT multiplier not working correctly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sharkz

Registered
Hi. I'd like to know if anyone has my same problem: I can't set HTT multiplier to 3x (600mhz) or 2x (400 mhz) and have system stability :(

My goal would be 3x (to rise system stability with high fsb), but if I set it (with a 270mhz fsb or higher) the system (results change with different bios versions. Tried all, including betas):
-doesn't boot
-hangs while accessing HDD for the first time (not loading anything, just accessing)
-gives me a fault page error (or something like that) while accessing HDD for the first time
-doesn't find ntldr
No luck trying different setting, voltage. I never reached Windows a single time. Same result using SATA or PATA.

Using 2x multiplier let me load Windows, but system is instable while using AGP bus (3DMark hangs). No other errors.

4x multiplier (800mhz), *with the same fsb* works fine!
5x (1000mhz) multiplier automatically gives me 4x multiplier (tested with Sandra).

I don't know if that's a problem related with new Winchester core or something else. But I can't understand how Anandtech reached 289mhz fsb without lowering HTT, so I assume HTT multiplier worked for him.

Do HTT multiplier work for you? Is so, which processor core are you using?
Thanks.

"WELCOME TO THE FORUMS"

What are your system specs?

Ponder over these points:-

1.Are you using the VIA controller? If yes switch to the Promise controller.
2.Are your RAM timings correct?
3.AGP/PCI lock enabled?
4.Did you try changing the AGP Voltage?
5.VDimm =?
6.VCore=?
7.FSB=?
8.CPU Multi=?
9.Did you look up possible video card problems?
10.Temps=?

There are so many other factors I could list.
Please post your BIOS settings first. Its easier to help you with all that info.

And read these:- (I'm trying to check if your board has a problem, because many other ppl have reported similar problems (this and last week) ).
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=332591
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=348031
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=346710
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=347893
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=347580

Hope you find the above threads useful. Don't forget to list out your system specs and all your BIOS settings and read the sticky! :D

Good Luck!

//1.Are you using the VIA controller? If yes switch to the Promise controller.

Tried both. I have 3 HDD (Raid 0 SATA on Via, and Single PATA on Via). Windows installed on both HDD. Nothing change if I disable SATA in bios, and use PATA only. Should I try connecting PATA single disk to Promise? I haven't tried that... *UPDATE* Tested and same old s...

//2.Are your RAM timings correct?

Yes. Vitesta DDR 500. I can also tell ram dividers do seem to add instabilty if not set to "Auto". Setting ram to DDR 333 gives me a nice boot :-(
No difference single/dual channel.

//3.AGP/PCI lock enabled?

Yes

//4.Did you try changing the AGP Voltage?

Yes

//5.VDimm =?

//6.VCore=?

From default to 1.7

//7.FSB=?

275 is max ALL stable with the forced 4x HTT multi (as I can't change it!). 291 is the max prime/windows/everything except AGP using FSB (3DMArk, Far Cry. Doom 3 works fine...). Clearly a too high HTT bus problem. Sandra too reports me a 291*4 frequency.
The question is: how could Anandtech reach *stable* 298mhz?

//8.CPU Multi=?

I have a Wichester 3000+, 9x multi

//9.Did you look up possible video card problems?

Tried 3 different Nvidia driver sets (I have a 6800). I also tried both Windows SP2 and Via 4in1 AGP driver. No change.

//10.Temps=?

No prob. Watercooled.

//And read these:- (I'm trying to check if your board has a problem, because many //other ppl have reported similar problems (this and last week) ).

I can assure you I read *all* A8V posts. On that nice and other forums. Your awesome sticky guide is awesome. Thanks for your help.

I don' know what's the problem. I think it's realated to some bios problem with Winchester core or something like that.
Do Newcastle users have the same problems? Can they set HTT multiplier as they want?

Thanks

Last edited:
Newcastles AFAIK, have no problems. You may be right about the BIOS though. ASUS wrote up 2 new versions (1007,1008) and 4 betas in about a month. Looks like they have some problems with getting the BIOS to behave right.

Now lets look at your rig:-
CPU freq:
Stock = 1800
OC'd =2475
Thats pretty good. Look here to see how you stack up:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=2987105#post2987105

Could you tell me what happens when you use different BIOS versions, to your LTD?
If you can't change the LTD, I'd recommend resetting the CMOS. Before you do that read the sticky for caution points.

291 is the max prime/windows/everything except AGP using FSB (3DMArk, Far Cry. Doom 3 works fine...). Clearly a too high HTT bus problem. Sandra too reports me a 291*4 frequency.
The question is: how could Anandtech reach *stable* 298mhz?

Are you saying you can boot at 291 but fail stress tests? Do you have the exact same test conditions as Anandtech?? I'm sure you don't so I'd say 291 HTT is pretty good.

The Low LTD=instability problem issue seems to be officially confirmed now. If you read the sticky I talk about the exact same thing! I faced the same problem with the 1008 BIOS. Seemed to dissappear with a BIOS update. (My Newcastle does just fine with the stable, tried and tested 1006 BIOS).

Why not stick with the 4x LTD ? You can't expect to do exactly the same as AnandTech or anybody else. Every setup is unique.

VIA 4 in 1 AGP Driver? I thought it was the SATA/RAID Driver?

Regarding your RAM not running 2:1 (DDR400); try 2.7 or 2.6 V as conter-intutive and strange as this sounds, some guys here have reported problems disappering with these settings.

Hope this helps!

Newcastles AFAIK, have no problems. You may be right about the BIOS though. ASUS wrote up 2 new versions (1007,1008) and 4 betas in about a month. Looks like they have some problems with getting the BIOS to behave right.
I think so too.

Now lets look at your rig:-
CPU freq:
Stock = 1800
OC'd =2475
Thats pretty good. Look here to see how you stack up:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=2987105#post2987105
Well, I know it's a decent o/c. Nothing more, I think I can go higher, so why not trying? ;)

Could you tell me what happens when you use different BIOS versions, to your LTD?
If you can't change the LTD, I'd recommend resetting the CMOS. Before you do that read the sticky for caution points.
As I said, i get mixed results using 3x multi:
-doesn't boot
-hangs while accessing HDD for the first time (not loading anything, just accessing)
-gives me a fault page error (or something like that) while accessing HDD for the first time
-doesn't find ntldr

Things change using different bios revision, but no way to load a single file.
2x multi let me reach Windows, but I got prime errors quite soon.
I assume something is wrong with multi as if I set 4x or 5x everything is fine.

Examples: 275 4x or 5x HTT -> ok (but the multi is always 4x, even if 5x is selected) ; 275 3x HTT -> no boot ; 275 2x -> prime errors

Are you saying you can boot at 291 but fail stress tests? Do you have the exact same test conditions as Anandtech?? I'm sure you don't so I'd say 291 HTT is pretty good.
It fails AGP tests only. Prime is fine. Doom 3 is fine (OpenGL). But 3Dmarks hangs. Far Cry hangs too. 275mhz is max AGP stable configuration. As HTT is strictly related to AGP bus, I assume 291x4 (or lower till 275) is too high HTT frequency for my board!

The Low LTD=instability problem issue seems to be officially confirmed now. If you read the sticky I talk about the exact same thing! I faced the same problem with the 1008 BIOS. Seemed to dissappear with a BIOS update. (My Newcastle does just fine with the stable, tried and tested 1006 BIOS).
I can't test 1006 bios with my Winchester. But I tried all revisions from 1007 to 1009.004 and same problems. :mad:

Why not stick with the 4x LTD ? You can't expect to do exactly the same as AnandTech or anybody else. Every setup is unique.
Well, I dont' expect the same results. But I get quite lower results, and that's not normal. He used a A64-FX, I have a Winchester. HTT instability is not mentioned at all in the review, so I assume he had no problem.

VIA 4 in 1 AGP Driver? I thought it was the SATA/RAID Driver?
4in1 is a driver set for the mobo. SATA driver are separated.

Regarding your RAM not running 2:1 (DDR400); try 2.7 or 2.6 V as conter-intutive and strange as this sounds, some guys here have reported problems disappering with these settings.
I tried that too. No way :bang head:

Look at the problems you and many others have been facing I'm almost certain that its the BIOS. Wait for a release version af the 1009 . Should be out next month or sooner (I hope). Did you talk to ASUS about this? Get the info from the horse's mouth :D

Saaya at xtremesystems had this to say:
same for the nf3 boards, theres a problem with 240mhz+, most likely a bios issue! people expirienced this on the 9nda3+ and k8nsnxp-939 and k8ns ultra-939, boot at or above 240 seems to not work for SOME people with the latest bios files, for others it works...

they can however reach a higher fsb bumping the fsb in windows.

Looks like its the BIOS. Please post back if you see any new issue comes up in the interveaning period between now and the release date.

PS* What part of Sandra give you the LTD as 4x? I mean where did you look for the number? I'm not really familiar with Sandra apart from the CPU/Mem BM Modules. (I have the free version of Sandra).

Look at the problems you and many others have been facing I'm almost certain that its the BIOS. Wait for a release version af the 1009 . Should be out next month or sooner (I hope).
I'm sure too. I hope a final stable and full working bios arrives soon...

Did you talk to ASUS about this? Get the info from the horse's mouth :D
Well, I wrote to them and... NO REPLY. From both USA and Germany Asus :-/

Looks like its the BIOS. Please post back if you see any new issue comes up in the interveaning period between now and the release date.
I can assure you I tried everything and I'm really tired. I'll wait for a new bios release (I found the 1009.004 to be the worst)

PS* What part of Sandra give you the LTD as 4x? I mean where did you look for the number? I'm not really familiar with Sandra apart from the CPU/Mem BM Modules. (I have the free version of Sandra).
I have the free version too. Just use "System information", and scroll down to "Chipset 2" !

Yes. ASUS Tech support sucks. I got a generic BS reply for a very specific question regarding the 1008 BIOS. You might try calling them though.

Note down any new developments and post 'em up.

Why do you say the 1009.004 BIOS was the worst? It was the worst in what way?
Good Luck man!

Yes. ASUS Tech support sucks. I got a generic BS reply for a very specific question regarding the 1008 BIOS. You might try calling them though.
Actually it does...

Note down any new developments and post 'em up.
1005 is out. I'll try it later.
ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/socket939/a8v-deluxe/1009-005.zip

Why do you say the 1009.004 BIOS was the worst? It was the worst in what way?
Good Luck man!
Random Windows freezes :(
Switching from 1004 to 1003, same freezes. I resolved flashing 1008 and 1009.003

Back