• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Order of sequence of WC components?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZenTrickz

Registered
Hey all, I'm kind of new to WC setups. I've been doing my research but I still havn't found what is the optimal order of how the water runs through a WC setup. Say you start from Pump >> T-line >> ??? >> ???
Could someone help me out? Oh and the components I wish to cool are CPU and GPU.

Thanks!

The order will not affect temperatures in a measurable way. Rig the elements any which way you like, and remember that to use the least possible amount of tubing is optimal. Good luck.

Gotcha
I have another newbie questions for you guys.
Are you suppose to put Thermal paste inbetween the CPU and Waterblock like you would with an air heatsink? Also would you do the same with the GPU waterblock?

ZenTrickz said:
Gotcha
I have another newbie questions for you guys.
Are you suppose to put Thermal paste inbetween the CPU and Waterblock like you would with an air heatsink? Also would you do the same with the GPU waterblock?
yep.

ok, would I want a certain type of thermal paste for water cooling blocks?
I was thinking of Arctic Silver 5 for an XP-90, but water cooling looks so much more fun to put together. Any recomendations?

AS5 all the way for any type of cooling

and heres the usual loop thats run in series:

Pump > Radiator/Heater core > CPU > Chipset > GPU > Resivoir > Pump (back at the start)

In the event of going from Pump > rad > block to pump > block > rad when it all comes down to it all youre doing is moving the pump basicly. Check out the myths of water cooling @ overclockers.com.

it would truly cool better if you went to the water block right after the radiator...

Benefits would be minimal and not measurable without an extensive/expensive setup.

The change in the system efficiency with additional tubing would likely be in the same ballpark* as the 'least tubing possible' setup, but with a slightly higher magnitude in most circumstances.

*(power of 10, ie: 0.1 and 0.5)

I read somewhere that getting a pump that puts out umm... more force (don't know my WC termanology) doesn't really have an effect on cooling performance. Is this a myth as well?

increased flow (we measure a pump's power in feet of head generally) increases the performance of the waterblocks and the radiators.

the order doesn't matter, but you want the resevoir or t-line before the pump for ease of filling.

Another question: Does having a resivoir in the system help temperatures? Does more water = more water to absorb heat = better temps? My guess is that it's an easier way to get the air out of the system, but any temp increases are minimal.

Back