• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P160 case + side window + side fan....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TombKeeper

I have the P160 case and i cut out a window on the side - not too big, it goes from where the hd cage ends to the back and up to the top where the rail is at the ps...

What would be best to install on the side window regarding fans?

One 120mm would be good but it would also block most of the inside view... 2 80mm would allow better view inside but only the video would get the fresh air.....

Does this come down to looks vs performance? Or would 2 80mm give me good enough cooling (some kind of led fans with <28db - vs the evercool 120mm)

Testing time...Try making a test panel out of corrugated cardboard to dulicate your new window.
Then mount your fan or fans and see if you get the desired results...You may want to have a window with no fans...:D

I say go with the 120mm but only because will produce less noise. If you're interested in a lower noise level then go with the 120mm, but if you're only looking for performance then take archilochus's advice and test both methods.

archilochus said:
Testing time...Try making a test panel out of corrugated cardboard to dulicate your new window.
Then mount your fan or fans and see if you get the desired results...You may want to have a window with no fans...:D

Good idea....I'll use that method to see if there's any diff in temps from no side fan, 1 92mm side fan, and 1 120mm fan (don't have 2 80mm liying around to test...)....Thanks

bh2k said:
I'm sure 2 silent 80s would do just as well as one 120mm.

I'm sure they would too, however a single 120mm fan should still be quieter when moving the same amount of air. :p

Am going to do my 'experiment' later today probably... except for the 2 80mm - unless my brother has some lieying around.... will post results here after for anyone interested. Will also post exact fans used and their cfm ratings and alll other relevant info....

Back