• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

linux gaming?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

Just out of curiousity...How does Linux work with games?
Is their a Dist that is specifically designed to work with Games?

im just installign Mandrake to learn about linux, and im interested in switching my other computers if i like it, but id want my games to play just as good (HL2, Warcraft etc..)

Warcraft runs as if it were native. I cannot tell whether I'm running it in Linux or Windows if I don't minimize it and look at my desktop. I see no difference at all whatsoever in speed, quality, or anything else.

9mmCensor said:
There are a few games that support Linux natively. UT04 is one. Doom3 I think also has a linux patch.

Not sure if the Doom 3 linux version ever came out. The game seemed to fall flat on its face once everyone tried it. I lost intrest in the first 2 mins of playing the game.

UT2k3 and UT2k4 are nativte. Not sure of the other UTs.

HL works and The Source Engine works, so I must assume HL2 works.

Farcry works untill I pull the trigger, I don't have very high hopes for this working.

Transgamming has a hige list of all the Linux games that are out there. Some nativte, some under Cedega.

http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/

Did Cedega used to be WineX? Looks like they charge for the software. I've currently got UT2k4 and ET running on my Linux box, haven't tried Doom 3 yet, but it didn't run well on Windows with similar hardware so I doubt it would be playable. I would say the install for ET was an absolute breeze, UT2k4 was a bit more difficult, but I actually had to use a shared DVD drive from a Windows box to get it installed. Getting the video driver installed might be a bit more tricky, though the nvidia driver is just a script now, but you still have to edit your XF86 config file.

electromagnetic said:
Did Cedega used to be WineX? Looks like they charge for the software. I've currently got UT2k4 and ET running on my Linux box, haven't tried Doom 3 yet, but it didn't run well on Windows with similar hardware so I doubt it would be playable. I would say the install for ET was an absolute breeze, UT2k4 was a bit more difficult, but I actually had to use a shared DVD drive from a Windows box to get it installed. Getting the video driver installed might be a bit more tricky, though the nvidia driver is just a script now, but you still have to edit your XF86 config file.

You do know that UT2k4 and DOOM 3 are both nativte, correct?

Getting the Nvidia drivers to work is a piece of cake, all you need to do is run the script, and change "nv" to "nvidia" doesn't get much eaiser.

Yes Cedga is WineX, they changed the name when they went to version 4. You have to pay if you want it to work, but if not you can always try the CVS, its free, but people have limited success. I have seen it working, but I just pay, as its not very expensive, and works so much better than the CVS. Install is a breeze. I think they may have crippled the CVS just to make you pay for the real version, thats just my opinon though, and I have no proof to back it up.

Not sure what you mean by native. There's a shell script on the UT2k4 DVD. Doom 3 you need to download linux binaries or something, I really don't know.

That seems like a really horrible way to get people to buy software if you're correct, what if Microsoft did that? Just imagine how much they could charge for a bug free version of XP :D :D :D

electromagnetic said:
Not sure what you mean by native. There's a shell script on the UT2k4 DVD. Doom 3 you need to download linux binaries or something, I really don't know.

That seems like a really horrible way to get people to buy software if you're correct, what if Microsoft did that? Just imagine how much they could charge for a bug free version of XP :D :D :D

Nativte as opposed to emulated.

UT2k4 has a nativte linux installer, where as HL must be emulated using a 3rd party app. Hope that clears it up a bit.

Back