• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why no Axis FPS games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gustav

I think I know the answer to this, but maybe others have a better answer/opinion on it. Why are there none (or very few) FPS games where you get to play as the axis in WWII? Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, amoung many others are very popular WWII FPS games, but you only get to play as the allies in the single player. I think its great that Call of Duty had different campaigns in which you could play American, Brittish, and Russian, but why not German, Itallian, or Japanese? I want to play a game and see what it was like to be part of the axis powers, from the invasion of Poland to the race to Berlin and everything inbetween.

Now what I think the answer is, is this: Who wants to play a game knowing they're going to lose? We all know the Axis powers lose to the allies, who wants to play a game knowing they're going to be defeated? But still, even knowing that, I want to play a game as good as Medal of Honor and Call of Duty that I can play as the axis powers and see what it was like to be a German, Itallian, or Japanese soldier during WWII.

So what are you're opinions, why don't we have many, if any, FPS games where you get to be part of the axis powers, and if there are any, why aren't they popular?

Who wants to be on the side of Hitler? I'm not saying I disagree with you, but most consumers wouldn't want to "associate" themselves with Hitler by being on his side in a video game.

Yeah, thats a good point. What I'm saying is, sure we can learn all about WWII and what happened through history books and the history channel, but I think it would be fun to see what it was like hands on in a video game. I'm just wondering how many people would also like that, and why we don't see games like these. I've played a strategy game where you were on the axis, but I want a FPS. CoD single player is fairly realistic and it goes through actuall events. Its very cool. I just want to see what it was like to be fighting the Americans, British, and Russians to get a better idea of what happened from all points of view. I love history, thats partly why I want a game like this to come out.

I also think it would be valuable to have a game like that, but unfortunately, a game like that probably wouldn't be very popular in America since history in America is all about the "victors", and not about knowing every side of the story.

no

winners write the history, its plain and simple.

how patirotic would a game company look if they wrote an anti allied game?

Most people directly associate the axis with evil. For some reason everyone thinks all soldiers on the other side were some type of evil killers of civilians. Of course this is not the fact, but its the idea most people have.

Heh i was gonna post something similar a while back.

Id love the play as the Germans in a quality WWII game. They had some kick *** weapons.

It's pathetic to talk about them as evil and all that bull ****. It's a video game for ****s sake.

There is a mod for COD being mad for the Germans, SP, ill find the link later.

I agree an axis based fps would be great - be a nice change to see it all from the other point of view...
but they day they make axis mission orientated pc games is the day holywood movies stop stealing british achievements during the world wars and claiming them as American.... :(

I think some of the comments about associating consumers with Hitler might be true, however I think it might be more to the point that American consumers would not want to fight Americans.
how patirotic would a game company look if they wrote an anti allied game?
I agree whole-heartedly with you, xeno. Aside from the Civil War, I think that World War II or Korea was the first war to even show American war dead. Many journalism companies from that time period believed it to be unpatriotic and detrimental to the American interest in the war, and I think that this isn't too different from that. What the general American public believe of a company who allowed you to shoot the Allies of the Americans during World War II, or even Americans themselves.

I also don't think any company from a then-Axis nation would release such a game as they would be immediately deemed traitors and neo-facist.

yeah liek they never made ne movies either where u see WWII from the axis side...which would be really awesome but i bet people would get pissed off saying the producers (as well as producers of a game being axis sided) were nazi's or something lol

jcw122 said:
yeah liek they never made ne movies either where u see WWII from the axis side...which would be really awesome but i bet people would get pissed off saying the producers (as well as producers of a game being axis sided) were nazi's or something lol

Plenty of movies made on that subject. There are movies of the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and that was mass genocide aswell.

Bensa said:
Plenty of movies made on that subject. There are movies of the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and that was mass genocide aswell.

Look up your definition of genocide again.

One of the only places I have seen (or read) about the 'other' side described fully and accurately without also showing our side in a very positive light was All Quiet On The Western Front.

Ecuse me but Battlefield 1942 you play on anyside with diffrent campaons. so you haven't looked hard enough

mils128 said:
Ecuse me but Battlefield 1942 you play on anyside with diffrent campaons. so you haven't looked hard enough

Are you talking about the SP or MP? I tried battlefield 1942 and thought it sucked, at least the MP, never tried the SP.

My great uncle died in WWII, and my grandfather had a horrific experience in WWII, I personally think playing a game where you shoot, blow up, and decimate your countrymen would be a complete and utter disgrace...

...although, I think recreating the hell my grandfather went through into a game, regardless of what side you on, is pretty horrific in itself.

gravitywell said:
My great uncle died in WWII, and my grandfather had a horrific experience in WWII, I personally think playing a game where you shoot, blow up, and decimate your countrymen would be a complete and utter disgrace...

...although, I think recreating the hell my grandfather went through into a game, regardless of what side you on, is pretty horrific in itself.

So its okay to make games where you blow up the forefathers of modern day Germans, Italians and Japanese? Seems a bit hypocritical.

Most older games have both sides represented, but now with the rampant political-correctness and most big publishers being from ex-allied countries, there won't be many games with the axis side.

Bensa said:
So its okay to make games where you blow up the forefathers of modern day Germans, Italians and Japanese? Seems a bit hypocritical.

Most older games have both sides represented, but now with the rampant political-correctness and most big publishers being from ex-allied countries, there won't be many games with the axis side.

Exactly.

It's just a game, it's sad.

Anyways, here's the link, i found it. ive been looking forward to this:

http://germanfrontmod.justgamers.de/index.php?sektion=2

gustav said:
So what are you're opinions, why don't we have many, if any, FPS games where you get to be part of the axis powers, and if there are any, why aren't they popular?

Because people like missions where you go destroy top secret missels, and not missions where you go round up jews and execute them, or throw babies.

Back