• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need suggestions for quiet psu fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

silver1386

Registered
I just bought a Fortron 530W psu. that is the loudest thing I've ever heard in my life. I took it apart to put in my spare panaflo fans, but they are too big in depth. I ordered two fans from excess-solutions.com (Delta AFB0812VHB). they fit,but they are just as loud. I believe they need to be 80mm x 15mm instead of 80mm x 25mm. any suggestions out there?

Is it possible to perhaps mount the fan on the outside of the unit rather than the inside where the current ones are? Depends on your case, but just a thought.

a rehostat what? I went to the page and it looks like they are all 25mm. that's a good idea david, but it won't work in my situation :(

very nice SavageBasher! the inside of my psu is pushed up against the wall too far to make anything fit. I'd have to attach the fans on the outside, which I'd rather not do if I can get away with it.

As you can see in my second pic, I have mine external also. I'd rather have it look different and have my power supply absolutely silent than try to find a 15mm fan.

Just mount the Panaflo's on the outside of the PSU because the chances of you finding a quiet 80x15mm fan are very slim.

The fans on a Fortron 530 are themally controlled, and very quiet if the power supply is cool. You must have lousy case ventilation, allowing the power supply to intake hot air. If you simply reduce fan speed you run the risk of damaging the supply (and in turn system) by running it hotter than intended. Power supply output also drops markedly with temperature.

Back