• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking about a Vapochill LS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vio1

Im thinking about getting a vapochill ls by the end of the year (2004), but need a few things answered.

1)Will i be able to use it in my Lian Li V1000 case? IF so, how would I get it to work?

2) Ive read lots of reviews on this unit and a prevailing comment is that the unit is loud. Now, how loud is it? What kind of loud is it? Is it a compressor loud? or fan loud? Is it louder then delta fans?
why would it be loud?

3) i live in Canada, would kit-tronics be the best place to buy one? Do you know if they have a yearly boxing day sale or something?

1) not sure if the evap head will line up with cpu on that tower. I know they make the vapochill to line up with a traditional atx tower though since they all have cpu at the same height from the bottom of the tower not sure on the v1000s though. might be possible to cut a section out from the middle and run the head of the evaporator across and over to where the cpu would be positioned possibly. If it would reach over id think youd have a hell of a time getting the clamshell and everything on it though.

2)its roughly as loud as a window airconditioner on low settings the majority of the noise can be eleminated by reducing the fans speeds though. Its definantly not overly loud.

3)not a clue in the world. if you go to the vapochill page they have links to their north american resellers and you can take a look at prices/shipping options and the like. i got mine from frozencpu simply because i had an account there already and bought from them before and liked the service. course im in US not Canada though.

Last edited:
Are you happy with your purchase? Worth the money? or would you have spent money differently if you could have (in hindsite)?

Id definantly buy another one.

the ls is a great phase change kit for people wanting to get into extreme cooling without taking the time to set up a custom rig for their first endeavor.

if you dont mind the price tag id recomend getting it and if your like me youll probably be building your own not long afterwards.

Vio1 said:
1)Will i be able to use it in my Lian Li V1000 case? IF so, how would I get it to work?

How do you plan to use it? Will is sit under the case like it's supposed to, or do you want to try and fit it inside? Personally, I'm planning to mod one into the bottom of a V2000, and from what I can tell there is just enough room once the housing has been removed. I doubt the V1000 has that kind of real estate though.

no it definetly doesnt have room inside the v1000.... thinking about how i can fit it underneath... the way it is supposed to be.

it has some play to it but its really only suppose to move a small amount.

when the ls comes shipped the evap line will sag over and almost hang down to the unit itself so it does have some play just not that much.

i dont have a v1000 myself but from looking at all the pictures i just couldnt see the vapochill mounting to it in a traditional way. this could be a blessing or a curse though. on the negative side you would most likely have to build some sort of adapter that would let you get the evaporator in position to mount to the cpu. on the positive side you might have to build some sort of adapter that would let you get the evaporator in position to mount to the cpu. just depends on how you look at it and where you were wanting to go with the case.

also if your like me and dont know the true meaning of the word warranty you can open up the side of the ls and possibly make some changes within. the evap line drops down into the unit and appears to go from the flexible line to a copper line that you could carefully bend and possibly run over to where youd need it. this would require you to make some changes to the unit itself though.

all in all i think with some work you could get the ls to work with a v1000 it would take a voided warranty or a severly modded case if not both.

Vio1 said:
whats the difference between 100-130vac and 200-240vac?

Which should i buy?

the 100-130 volts alternating current model are for areas in the world that run on 120v electrical current the 200-240 model are for parts of the world that run off 230volts.

im not 100% but im pretty sure Canada runs everything off 120 the same as the US. countries like Australia run off 230 if im not mistaken.

is it safe to test out the vapochill without the evaporator touching anything (just letting it build up ice for a few minutes in the air)? The reason I ask is cause I will have to mod the vapochill case in order for it to fit my v1000, and I know that if you open up the vapochill case you void the warrenty. So I want to make sure the unit works before chopping it up....

Yea, but you might wanna put some type of load on it, just to make sure the charge is correct.

For example, if you have a TEC, put that on it, or even holding it over a couple candles burning would be enough, I'd think.

I'm not sure I want to hold my evap over a candle flame. How about shooting it with a heat gun? That should generate more then enough heat without the risk of sooty buildup.

you can run it without having it connected to a cpu I ran mine before I hooked everything up i just turned mine on and didnt let it power the motherboard once it got below -10c

you can put a heat load on it if you want i just ran mine to see the evap frost over then shut it off again once it frosted over.

also dont get too worked up over breaking the warranty by opening the panels they say they can tell if the units been opened and theyll void the warranty if it has been but they market skirting kits for the ls which makes it kind of hard to enforce the warranty with regards to just removing the skiriting. the main thing they try to cover themselves for is people being shocked as well as the danger of the contacts on the compressor have some pressure behind them and have blown off at people on rare occasions with disasterous results.

i will have to do more then just removing the side panels in order for this unit to fit under my lian li v1000. will have to move the tube hole further to the right.

Is it possible to reorganize the stuff inside the phase changing cooler.... idealy it would be best for me if it was a mirror image of how it is set up now... is it possible? How flexible is the hose that comes off the evaporator?

Vio1 said:
i will have to do more then just removing the side panels in order for this unit to fit under my lian li v1000. will have to move the tube hole further to the right.

Is it possible to reorganize the stuff inside the phase changing cooler.... idealy it would be best for me if it was a mirror image of how it is set up now... is it possible? How flexible is the hose that comes off the evaporator?

the hose is fairly flexible but nothing very extreme theres another line that goes through the outer shell as well (again they made the dimensions of the evap line so they would line up with atx standard)

also once the house goes through the cutout in the ls unit itself it isnt very flexible at all. you will most likely encounter some problems trying to move it to the otherside of the unit without removing and reconnecting the whole evaporator line

bending the line around is a way to reposition where the evap head would have to be but youll need to bear in mind that if you kink the line your going to have a unwanted metering device that will restrict the flow to the evaporator head and will effect the overall performance of the vapo.

I still think with the right moding the vapochill ls would work with a v1000 I just think its going to be a bit of a pain almost to the point of being better off with a custom phase soloution as far as time and money go.

Vio1 said:
How flexible is the hose that comes off the evaporator?

http://www.systemcooling.com/images/reviews/ExtremeCooling/Vapochill_LS/inside1_lg.jpg

Based on this photo, I would say that it is fairly flexible above the "ceiling" of the unit and very ridgid once it is inside the housing.

The best solution may be to turn the unit around so that the exhaust is blowing out the front. Not ideal, but if the hose can't bend any further than pictured, it may be the only way to go.

Back