• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vid Card Goes >>!!!BOOM!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dunker1

Vid Card Goes!!!BOOM!!! >>Guys I run an Asus x800pro, clocked at a modest 472 core , 506 mem.
It is running on the config below.
When I use intense graphics like a game occaisionally the screen gets choppy, then it wil lock on a frame,,,,, a high pitched squeal comes from head set - then I lose all vid(black screen), and I have to re boot.......WTF?
This occurs when i host players, I have a T1 equivalent connection (6Mbit).
I also have Svid out converted to component vid to a large format TV screen (that is not always on, but is plugged into the vid card)..could that be a factor? Not sure what else u need to know. Does it need more voltage? arrrrgh
Please advise.

Dunker
Config:
3.0Ghz Intel clocked 3.69
Asus p4p800
1GB 500Mghz ram mem clock 738
19inch lcd, planar
air cooled

probably overheating. If you are running a stock heatsink, that is most likely the problem and it is shutting itself down due to not wanting to fry itself.

I wouldnt think its overheating because he is running the core a tad underclocked. What is the memroy rated for on your card? 1.6ns?

--Josh

Psu??

Its an ANTEC case with a antec tru 380w psu as i recall. note sure on teh memory..where do I look at that - on the chip?
Are thier any monitortools i can use - that dont require me to solder **** the board?

Hey I'm running a similar setup and I think I've heard the problem too like when playing CS: Source, I get grinding sounds. I'm not sure what fixed it though. It may have been the drivers as the Official 4.12b's didn't work well. So I installed the 4.11's. Right now I'm running the Omega 4.12b's.

My card may have been clocked too high as well as it locked up once in CS: Source. Try turning fastwrites off if they are on.

If all else fails, it's very possible that you need a better psu like the OCZ Powestream 520W.

OT: I have a question, does your LED flicker and the card makes a ticking noise?

Hey SPyder! and folks thanks for the comments....It would suck if i had to replace psu, I just bought it! FTI - I am using OMEGA drivers
When u say LED flicker what do you mean? or did u mean LCD screen?
The card as far as I know does not tick, I just get this high pitched whine in my speakers and or headphones.

Try disconnecting your cd drive and anything else not essential to running you pc. If your video card works fine after that you know its your PSU.

Sentential said:
Question: Your 3ghz Intel wouldnt happen to be an E / Prescott would it? If so then that is your issue.

I would have to agree with that one also. Those chips eat up lots of power and since you have a smaller PSU thats what the issue is. I don't dare go under 420W anymore after I had some issues a while back with my vid card locking up lots (it was a 9800Pro back then).

Im running 480W No-Namer one, that someone recommened to me a while back, and so far (8 months later) its still running good on voltage rails.

dunker1 said:
Hey SPyder! and folks thanks for the comments....It would suck if i had to replace psu, I just bought it! FTI - I am using OMEGA drivers
When u say LED flicker what do you mean? or did u mean LCD screen?
The card as far as I know does not tick, I just get this high pitched whine in my speakers and or headphones.

Hey yeah I'm talking about the blue LED's on the card. Do they flicker when the fan isn't at full speed?

I had one previously and the LED's flickered to the beat of the ticking from the card. I RMA'ed that card and got another one back and the same thing happened with the LED's and ticking so I just decided to stick with it. Right now the Silencer 4 is on there but the problem is when the fan on the Silencer isn't on 100%, it ticks even louder! So much for being a "Silencer". I just run it 100% 24/7 though.

i believe i had a similiar problem. it had to do with me losing the image on my monitor but i could like ventrilo on the background and all my friends talking. what i did was lower my AGP buffer, i believe, in BIOS from 256 mb to 64 than to 128. That solved my problem 100%. I mean if you havent solved it already , you could give that a go. oh and i also changed my voltage on my card from auto the 1.6 , that might have helped but im not sure. i did those both at the same time so i couldnt tell. i just know that i was happy it stopped restarting.

Back