• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC'ing BFG GeForce 6800 Ultra >

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AMD64

Registered
Hi there. =)

I have a question regarding OC'ing my BFG 6800 Ultra.
At the moment, I can OC my card from stock speeds (425 / 1100), to 440 / 1150. This is with the default onboard stock Fan. I have heard though, that it's possible to clock this card to 600 / 1300. ?? I'm pretty new to OC'ing, so how is this really possible? I know that Water cooling is the sollution (or?), so I was wondering if I should buy the "ThermalTake BigWater" kit, (made for the ThermalTake SHARK Fulltower Case series). And the tests have proven it to be a great kit. Does anybody here have this kit? Or should I buy a different water cooling kit (costomized?). And if when I buy this kit (eventually) or any other kit, I guess that you will only get one CPU water block, and the necesarry devices (water pipes, fan radiator, pump, water tank) and so on.. What about the water block for the Ultra card?
I've heard that Koolence has a great water block for this card. Anybody here own this block?

And I have one more question, regarding my CPU.
Before I installed my Ultra card, I had a GeForce Ti-4600 128MB card, and then I could run my CPU (stock speeds 2240MHz) at 2600MHz even when I was running very demanding games. And my system was stable.

Now, after installing the BFG Ultra card, I can't even clock my CPU to 2350MHz ("turbo mode"), it's okay when I'm working on my desktop, but as soon as I run any games, my system hangs. ???!! I don't understand this, so this must have something to do with my Ultra card! Because everything was fine when I had the Ti-4600 card in my system. So what could be wrong here?? I don't understand this. =(( Anyways, I will get my 2GB Kingston ValueR PC3200 DDR400 today. Maybe something will change then. ?

I hope you are feeling well!
Best regards,
Tor Erik

Hey, your cpu overclocking problem is probably due to your power supply. My friend had the same one and is running the BFG 6800U as well and he had stuttering problems with his games plus when I tried to help him overclock a tiny bit(100 mhz), it rebooted while I was in a game.

He ended up getting the Ultra X-Connect PSU, limited funds, and all his problems went away.

Weak PSU!

Hi Spyd3d.
Thank you for replying. =)

You know, you're absolutely right. It must be my PSU.
Thus it's 520W, it doesn't mean that it's efficiency is any good.

When I had my Ti-4600 card, it required a lot lesser power from the PSU, so I could overclock my CPU just fine. After installing my Ultra card, I suddenly can't overclock my CPU at all. I thought that something was seriously wrong, but now that you mention it. You're right. It's obvious. That my Ultra requires a minimum of 480W PSU, now that I haven't listed all my components in my signature. I have 3 CDROM devices and 4 harddrive devices. Plus the Ultra card!! I'll get my fifth harddrive today. I wonder what will happend then.. =//

So. How powerful PSU should I get with my list of components plus the BFG Ultra card? 3 CDROM devices and 4 harddrives (5'th from today).?? And what brand should I get. I don't care about the costs and how expensive the PSU is. I don't wanna skimp on the PSU now. Just name the most powerful and the best!! So I don't run into problems.

Thank mate.
I really appreciate your support.

Hugs,
Tor Erik

Hey man, no problem.

About the PSU, I've been looking at the 520W OCZ Powerstream. The latest one is the 600W but the first batch was recalled and I don't know whether it's on sale again.

If you check in the PSU section, there's one really highly recommended power supply brand. Supposed to be the best but it's really expensive.

Just checked the Power Supply section and I think the brand is PC Power & Cooling.

Check out the following thread:

The King has Returned PC Power & Cooling NEW 850 Watt PSU!!!

yes you definitely want to upgrade your powersupply. that should help your gpu overclocking as well :) If you have the cash I'd say get the ocz psus.

600mhz core is insane, i'm not sure if it's even been reached before. I get 480mhz with 1.5v and watercooling, people get 500+ with colder temps and better cards. Don't aim that high, you'll be setting yourself up for dissapointment.

As for watercooling, I highly recommend it. Head on over to the water cooling section and do a lot of reading, custom is the way to go. You can set up a loop for pretty cheap if you know what you're doing. If you want any advice on that feel free to pm me.

crimedog said:
.....600mhz core is insane, i'm not sure if it's even been reached before.
No I dont belive it has. I think he is thinking more of an X800. The highest ive seen is in the 580 realm. That of course was on LN2 ala Macci style / Chilly1's multiple-cascade

Back