• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVD Burning on the fly takes ages?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jenko

Hi i can easily burn any type of file of my Hardrive at 8speed, but when i copy a dvd on the fly putting the copied dvd in my source drive which is a sony that can easily read over 8speed, and the blank dvd in my burner which is a pioneer 107d to write at 8speed it takes about 16minutes to burn it on the fly.

Is it that my hardrive cannot read and write the data fast enough its a 120gb seagate ata/100.

As burning a whole dvd using the hardrive as the source it takes around 7minutes at 8speed but 8speed on the fly takes 16minutes?

The hard drive is definitely faster than the dvd-Rom. The reason why it's so slow is because of the fact the computer reading from the disc, then making sure it did not produce any read errors, and then finally submits it to the burner.

Also, a DVD-rom drive does not pull data as fast compared to most modern hard drives. The burner can only go as fast as the source it is getting data from... and DVD-ROM drive is probably running at 4x from the sound of it.

You will get faster burns copying directly to the hard drive and burning from the hard drive.

Hi, yes, basically it's one of :
- Either you have a misconfigured system... (both units should be in DMA mode and better in separate IDE channels for on the fly copying),
- Or your reader (source) is slowlier than the writer with the disks you are copying, which keeps constantly emptying buffers and generating a burnproof recovery which takes time... Note that most DVD readers, for instance will read DVD+Rs at slowlier speeds than the max. reported read speed... and so on.

That reminds me of a bet me and a friend of mine had a few years ago. He had put two 3.5" floppy drives in his computer thinking it would be faster to copy from one drive to the next than to copy from floppy to hard drive then back to floppy. The fact of the matter is that it was a lot faster (better than twice as fast) to copy to the hard drive first and then back to the floppy. He thought I was pulling his leg!

Back