• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wait for AMD pci-e motherboard or just buy a P4?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DenniSTi

Registered
I really like the appeal of faster gaming at the same price for getting a a64 3000 compared to a p4 2.8 or so, but it seems there are only intel supported PCI-express 16x motherboards out there now which I want for not only upgradeability, but also because the pci-e 6600gt is only like $175.

Why are there like no amd pci-e boards out there? Why are the ones that are availible, which are nforce4 boards, like $200-300 while the intel ones are only $70-150?

Oh, and when are more coming out? If it's gonna be before the new years that's fine, I'll just wait...

I think I might be going p4 though when I don't really want to.

Well if you really want to go AMD it ain't going to hurt if you wait a while, the boards that are out right now are that expensive because there are just a few and most if not all are sli boards, it's supply and demand right now there is less supply then demand.

I probably will stick to AGP + AMD for now. But those damn $175 6600gt's in PCI-e are so tempting!!

Why the hell are they so cheap???

Gentleman said:
no PCI/AGP bridge chip i think

Yeah, I meant I'm just going to get an AGP only board instead of wait for PCI-e. I figure they will be cheaper by the time I'm ready to upgrade in 6 monthes or whenever.

I don't doubt their power, but I doubt their affordability. Plus I'm to anxious for a new pc.

DenniSTi said:
I don't doubt their power, but I doubt their affordability. Plus I'm to anxious for a new pc.

That's what I ended up doing; bought an EPoX 9NDA3+ and a A64 3000 Winny since one of my folding dually's got taken out by a blown Enermax psu. :bang head

After the nforce4 boards have been out a while and get reasonable, I might upgrade to it then but I'm wasn't going to get taken to the cleansers by getting a scarce nf4 board now.

I think another reason why the pci-e 6600GT cards are fairly cheap now is that the Intel LGA boards haven't been stellar sellers yet.;)

I actually found a nice deal for a P4 and an intel pci-e board so I'm going to snatch up a cheap 6600GT and build me a nice system.

Back