• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p2p programs wont work with nated router, why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IrQ

I NEED TO CONTACT LUTAWICASA OR SILVERSINKSAM
First off for the basic info. I have comcast cable. I have the modem connected into a linksys 4 port router. DHCP is enabled. Nat is enabled. Port triggering for the default ports for emule is enabled.

Since I started using this router I have had no luck getting Kazaa and subsidiares al beit kazaa lite nor emule to work. I have read around online without much success. No software firewalls are turned on or installed at the moment. Even still I havnt seen blackice picking up the connection for these programs. I have port triggering enabled and would like to keep dhcp enabled. I also have NAT enabled and can't turn it off because I don't want to have to register the modem through one computer and network everything through that computer.

My question is how do I get Emule and such to work with ports 4662 and 4672 to work on this router with DHCP and NAT enabled?

If you are behind nat, you won't be able to get a file off Kazaa from someone else behind nat; there's no way for them to connect to you to upload files.

If you are behind nat, it is impossible for anyone to connect to you without port forwarding. If they are behind nat, you can't connect to them... so there is no way to build a connection to transfer the files.

XWRed1 said:
If you are behind nat, you won't be able to get a file off Kazaa from someone else behind nat; there's no way for them to connect to you to upload files.

If you are behind nat, it is impossible for anyone to connect to you without port forwarding. If they are behind nat, you can't connect to them... so there is no way to build a connection to transfer the files.

I cant connect to anyone at all. The search function wont even show.

At the risk of getting this thread close I don't use Kazaa. I don't like Sharmen Networks and refuse to support them.

I usually use Kazaa Resurection if I use it.

IrQ said:
I cant connect to anyone at all. The search function wont even show.

Well I don't know the details of how Kazaa works or everything it does because I've never used it.

You have to assign a specific port (or figure out which one it's using) in KaZaA or whatever it is you're using, then set your router/firewall to forward traffic on that port to the ip and port of the computer running the program. That's the only way I was ever able to get it to work.

I hate KaZaA too. Shareaza is much easier to configure.

Back