• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$400+ on new videocard or 9800 Pro for free?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GotNoRice

Well I have about $400 and I was going to either buy a 6800GT or an x800 Pro (I was leaning toward the leadtek 6800gt). Well my friend is going to have a party at his house this week and wants me to throw down like $100+ on booze and stuff for his party instead; he said that in return that I’ll be able to use his extra 9800 Pro like pretty much forever. Also, the party (which I’m going to obviously) will be a lot more fun with $100+ of booze, heh.

What would you guys do? I could buy the new card now, or I could spend like $100 on the party and use the 9800 Pro till whenever.

I had a 9700 Pro, but I just sold it for $300 and I’m stuck using an 8500 at the moment.

Other system specs are:
Dual Xeon 2.93Ghz
1024 PC3200
Dual 36gb raptors
Radeon 8500 64meg

If you have a 8500, the 9800 would be a nice step up. I think that $100 + crazy drunkenness + vid card > $400 vid card.

It all depends on the games you play. If you're a Doom 3 addict, you have a problem, and I don't mean just hardware. If you're playing HL2, your 9800 Pro will do you fine.

You sold a 9700pro for $300!!! Does this person have an email address that I could have? I have some stuff for sale too :D.

I say go to the party and use the 9800pro till you can buy a 6800gt or maybe wait for a x800xl ( I thought Xeon boards came with PCI-E?).

Ad Rock said:
You sold a 9700pro for $300!!! Does this person have an email address that I could have? I have some stuff for sale too :D.

I say go to the party and use the 9800pro till you can buy a 6800gt or maybe wait for a x800xl ( I thought Xeon boards came with PCI-E?).

Well the “9700 Pro” that I sold was actually a FireGL X1. It’s basically the exact same as a 9700 Pro (it had Dual DVI, which was about the only real difference). I used modified catalyst drivers, so basically in every way that mattered it WAS a 9700 Pro. The FireGL X1’s still go for like $500 on newegg, so as long as you can find someone who doesn’t know that it’s basically the same as a 9700 Pro, you can give them a “good deal” by selling it to them $200 less than retail, which works out to $300, heh.

The coolest part was that I bought it in like Feburary of 03 for $200 and sold it in December of 04 for $300. How many videocards can you use for 2 years then sell for a profit! Ok, enough bragging, heh.

About the Xeon board, some of the more server oriented boards have PCI-X, and some of the brand-spanking new boards have PCI-E. Mine has neither, but it has an AGP Pro/8x slot, heh.

Main game that I want to make sure I have good FPS in is CS: Source.

Party, take the 9800. sell it on ebay, use the money you have left over and the money from the sale to get an x800. :beer:

For CS: source, my X800 pro rocks, but the 9800 Pro would run that solid. We should play some time so you can kill me. I suck.

Definetly party! If you're friend is trustworthy enough to practically give you a nice card like that, jump on it. And go lay some drunk hotties for us and report back with pics and vids!

Actually get the nice vid card, my bro did a thing like that, lots of booze, and he found himself waking up while pissing on the sidewalk, and a police car had 2 be coming his direction :(, the fines arnt nice.

Yea, the new card would be nice, but you may lose out on memories of a lifetime. Hell YOU ARE THE PARTY MASTER!!! People are counting on you!! Do the party, take the card and save up another bill and get the card down the road. Hell, you might meet a cool chick and wind up not touching games for a while.

I second that, if he does actually give it to you. If it's just a loaner for awhile, then you're probably better off going with a new card.
9800 Pro is still a very good card - seems like the price has actually creeped up some over the last few weeks too..

Go to the party, get drunk, get everyone drunk, take everyone money, take some blackmailing pictures and leave with the videocard, plus money, and a bunch of blackmailing pictures. You'll be rich!

PSP said:
Go to the party, get drunk, get everyone drunk, take everyone money, take some blackmailing pictures and leave with the videocard, plus money, and a bunch of blackmailing pictures. You'll be rich!

yes yes yes!

^

Back