• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Roll back issue XP....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woozy

Ok I had a hardware problem with my computer. So I rolled back the hard drive 2 months. What I'm tring to do is get my old information back. I know it is on the hard drive because when I check the contents od the hard drive 80 of the space is taken up. But I can't find all my old saved songs, pictures, and files. Was wondering how I can go about getting the files back? If I can't just tell me. I'm looking for any help. Thank you. :beer:

...what kind of hardware problem did you have? If it was harddrive related, those files could be corrupted. A bit more detail about what caused you to "lose" the files in the first place would help... :attn:

Video card blew out so I had to roll back the hard drive to date before the video card settings. Nothing with the hard drive it works perfect just need to get to the files. Thank you.

Using the Windows System Restore will not erase your files, it just changes back the registry to the whay it was on the day you select to restore to. Your files should still be as they were before the restore.

...you haven't tried a restore instead of a rollback? Unless the vidcard took out something on the mobo when it fried, you should be able to restore. Obviously the HDD doesn't work perfectly, you can't access the files you want to, be that software or hardware, they are not accessible, so nothing is perfect. Drop the HDD into another system, if you don't have another box, drop it in a friend's box, and see if you can access the files...

...if the vidcard didna fry the HDD, you should be able to access the files from someone else's system. If it took the HDD out at the same time, you need a file recovery program, which are very expensive. I have one, if the files you can't access are worth it, you pay the shipping, both ways, and I'll get your files back. First, see if you can access the files from another HDD. If not, I can fix you up, nothing ever disappears from a HDD, even a format doesn't kill it. Yours doesn't sound bad at all, PM me for details... :)

bchur83 said:
Using the Windows System Restore will not erase your files, it just changes back the registry to the whay it was on the day you select to restore to. Your files should still be as they were before the restore.

...you beat me to it... :attn:

bchur83 said:

That is what I did. But when windows restarted I had to make a new user name. Plus when I made the old user name I made the files private to that user name. But I can't see these old files on my new user name but I know they are there the space still being used up. HELP ..... :) :burn:

...uuummmm, you don't need a new user name when you restore, XP restarts as it normally does, aside from asking if you want to keep the settings you just restored...

...have you done a virus scan yet?...

Did you boot to the Disc, and do a repair install? If this is what you did, then you may have to go into the C: drive, and open Documents and Settings folder. Inside there, should be your old user account, with all of you data.

bchur83 said:
Did you boot to the Disc, and do a repair install? If this is what you did, then you may have to go into the C: drive, and open Documents and Settings folder. Inside there, should be your old user account, with all of you data.

Yes the old computer admin is there. When I try to access the folded it says access denied. Contact computer admin to give permission. But the New computer admin can't access the files. There nothing wrong with the hard drive it works fine. I just need to open this file folder to get to all my data 20 gigs worth. How do I unlock the folder without the old admin. Or how can I restore the old admin?

Back