Question urgent help needed - multiplier problem

just got a new (secondhand) cpu (xp-m 2600+) stuck it in everything booted fine but when i checked bios, i found the highest i could get the multiplier was 6x. it could be a buggy bios so i'm trying a few different bios releases for my mobo (nf7-s2g).

part of my problem could be the wierd AI overclocking interface the bios has(if anyone knows a bios that will wrk with my board that doesn't have this please tell me!!!). and i saw as5(?) around the core, i would like to clean this off but dont want to damage the cpu so if someone can recommend a household cleaner that will do the trick i'd be grateful!

any advice, suggestions, links, etc welcome

edit: tried several bios versions, no improvement
    Last edited by subtotal; 12-20-04 at 02:32 AM.

it also seems the voltage is messed up. it's a mobile chip and the voltage (set to default!!!) is over 1.8V!

Er mobiles boot up in desktops at a multiplier of 6 - just change it in the bios to whatever you want!
    Gigabyte Aurora 3D case
    Abit IP35 Pro
    Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz
    Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 with Silverstone 2200 rpm 120mm Fan
    1.3125 Vcore (stock and lowest it can go on my mobo)
    Gigabyte 8600 GT
    2GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC6400
    Seagate Enterprise Barracuda 500GB Sata 3.0
    Silverstone 650W PSU
    17' Dell LCD

ok, thats good news, can someone direct me to a site that shows pin mods to change multipliers? i got tricked into getting the "s2g" by the name (it doesn't have multiplier control!). btw solved the voltage prob, the pcb around the core was COVERED in AS5(3?), i didn't have the proper (or even recommended) cleaning stuff... so i found a bottle of 100 proof vodka (strongest stuff in the house by far) which seemed to do the trick

Edit: nevermind, found a pin mod guide here
    Last edited by subtotal; 12-20-04 at 04:00 AM.