• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best QUITE 120mm Fan??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Or do a push-pull setup. With the noise levels he's shooting for he will have to slow the fan to a speed where 38 vs 25mm isn't going to make a huge difference--either one won't be making any static pressure. I'd put a Vantec on either side and see if the noise isn't tolerable, and if needed, slow them from there. You'd have to nearly shut off one those Sanyo 38s to get in the same noise ballpark.

I used to have WCing and I used a 172mm at 5v which had a lot of cfm and the noise was mostly just moving air. I had the 12v patriot, but if you get the 24v fan and do 7v it should be pretty much silent with good air flow and good pressure. This was fit onto a chevette HC which was a perfect fit. If you have a larger HC you can always stack two ontop of each other, or get two 120mm fans and 7v them for very little noise.

gvblake22 said:
hey Ven0m, where can you buy those glacialtech products??

Here, in Poland they're common. It appears in most of shops and this brand is known in Europe. But honestly, I have no idea how distribution in America looks like. Perhaps they use other name or something...
On their .com site, I see local versions .com.br, .de, .hu, .pl, .ru, so it's definietly Europe, but it would lack logic if they haven't sold to America. Unfortunatly I couldn't google anything that could help with getting their products there :(

Anyway, if someone considered runing passive, but didn't like that efficiency and can do some shopping research - I'd recommend GlacialTech 120mm fans.

In reading your supplied reference article, no mention is made of the 120mm Stealth fan. They in passing mention the 80mm Stealth fan (a Nidec Beta SL, pretty average) and the 92mm version (also a Beta SL, but terrible). They do not test nor mention the 120mm Stealth fan, a member of the higher-rent Beta V family, and very good 120mm design.

They do test the Enermax 120mm, and the Stealth is a lot better than that. The Mechantronics I listed above is better yet, my recomendation, and also beyond the scope of your test. So I guess the moral of the story here is if you are really serious about your silent fans, buy some and test them. Even the best of reviews is not necessarily definitive and no substitue for firsthand knowledge.

My comment about the Vantec Stealth series fans were based on experience ;)

I've tried 80mm, 92mm and 120mm Vantec Stealth's and all weren't quiet, and especially continued to click/buzz when ramping down the voltage fed to them.

The best quiet fans from my experience are the Globe 120x25mm's recommended in that fan list (very smooth/quiet at about 50% voltage), and the best airflow:noise fans are the Sanyo Denki 120x38mm's recommended by silversinksam & nikhsub1 (very smooth at all voltages and no motor noise at all).

Back