• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best QUITE 120mm Fan??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suma

Hey guys,
I'm now in the "Seek of Silence", I want to make my PC as silent as possible.
The noise that we're going to take care of today is the 120mm fan on my Radiator.

I'm looking for a silent fan, let's say ~20dBAs and still with a good airflow.

Do you have any suggestions for me? based of your older findings or knowladge.

Thanks,
Suma.

My pal has recently bought GlacialTech 120x25mm fan. Its noise is close to none. I can't hear it when HDD is nearby (but it's maxtor :)).
It's got 9-blade low speed design, 950RMP at stock + it starts even at 5v.
About airflow - comparing to Enermax I used it has very low airflow but enermax was much louder. In my opinion airflow to noise ratio is very good.

Enermax wouldn't be bad when used with voltage regulator (needs around 8v for silence).
I had some Papsts in hands, but they weren't that silent as these 2.

If you care noise the most - look at that GlacialTech. They have some graphs for this fan, so if in your opinion airflow is too low - you won't buy it, but I think that it's hard to find fan that produces less noise.

Unfortunatly I can't compare these fans with more, as these are the only 120mms I tested.

Well I have an Enremax 120mm lying around here.
I'll check it out with it's own POT.

Thanks,
Suma.

umm...grr i JUST saw a fan that was 120mm that did 78CFM at 21dBA....I THINK it was by Thermalright...

EDIT: nvm...i just double checked the fan specs from another site and its off...sry

Last edited:
Vantec Stealths have probably the best ratio of DBA\CFM. I'm running a 120mm and I can't hear it.. 27DBA\58cfm. Not bad for good ariflow.

Yeah. it has its own pot, but even when at min it's noisy. And if I remember correctly it doesn't run at 7v. You'd need something around 8-9v. It's pretty silent then (around its staring voltage)

But I found that glacialtech technicial data . I would risk describing it as inaudiable, even at night.

RangerXLT8 said:
Vantec Stealths have probably the best ratio of DBA\CFM. I'm running a 120mm and I can't hear it.. 27DBA\58cfm. Not bad for good ariflow.

Hmm 27dBA isn't that silent.
I'd like to use 20-23 max.

Thanks anyway man.
Suma.

Ven0m said:
Yeah. it has its own pot, but even when at min it's noisy. And if I remember correctly it doesn't run at 7v. You'd need something around 8-9v. It's pretty silent then (around its staring voltage)

But I found that glacialtech technicial data . I would risk describing it as inaudiable, even at night.

Thanks Ven0m.
I'll check it out.

Suma.

I have two favorites for quiet 120mm fans. Both can be bought very cheaply and are of the highest quality.

The first is the Vantec Stealth. It is actually a Nidec BetaV TA450DC Model A34343-33. These spin at 1500rpm WFO, and are rated at 53cfm. And whatever fanciful dB numbers you bandy about, these are very quiet fans. If you need quieter, run it at less than 12V. These are indeed Vantec retail packages (and Nidec BetaVs in turn) in spite of the picture of a yellow-box PC Toys equivalent.

http://www.coolergarage.com/12stprofan.html

My other favorite is the Mechatronics G122512B-FS, which also spins at 1500rpm WFO and is rated at 55cfm. It does blow a bit more air and is a tiny bit louder than the Nidec above, but is still a very quiet fan. These are 3 pin but lack an rpm sensor. I tend to like them better anyway. Again, whatever dB figures enthrall you this fan is about as quiet as it gets at 12V and can be slowed from there if need be.

http://www.coolergarage.com/me12fandube.html

larva said:
I have two favorites for quiet 120mm fans. Both can be bought very cheaply and are of the highest quality.

The first is the Vantec Stealth. It is actually a Nidec BetaV TA450DC Model A34343-33. These spin at 1500rpm WFO, and are rated at 53cfm. And whatever fanciful dB numbers you bandy about, these are very quiet fans. If you need quieter, run it at less than 12V. These are indeed Vantec retail packages (and Nidec BetaVs in turn) in spite of the picture of a yellow-box PC Toys equivalent.

http://www.coolergarage.com/12stprofan.html

My other favorite is the Mechatronics G122512B-FS, which also spins at 1500rpm WFO and is rated at 55cfm. It does blow a bit more air and is a tiny bit louder than the Nidec above, but is still a very quiet fan. These are 3 pin but lack an rpm sensor. I tend to like them better anyway. Again, whatever dB figures enthrall you this fan is about as quiet as it gets at 12V and can be slowed from there if need be.

http://www.coolergarage.com/me12fandube.html

Thanks Larva!
I think I'll take the Vantec Stealth and add a POT to it :)

Suma.

Suma said:
Thanks for your input.
I found this fan:
http://www.coolermaster.com/index.p...ther_title=+SUF-S12+UV Silent Fan 120 x120 mm

Looks good right?
22dBA and ~43CFM.

Suma.

I don't like what they write about it (CM site). 1.5mm H2O at 0.6W, with 120mm fan and that flow to power ratio - that doesn't make ANY sense for me and idicates that all other data might not match reality. Just to compare Glacial is rated 2.4W.

And larva's fans - I'm not assured to 3-blade design when it goes about silent fans, but if it works - why not to give it a try. That Vantec also looks nice.

You should really be looking at 38mm thick fans instead of 25mm. You need the static pressure offered by thicker fans to pass through the radiator.

Back