• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum Vcore Settings/Readings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bobmanfoo

Disabled
as many of you might have noticed, the voltage adjustments are not very clear cut, my observations:

voltage settings above 1.45v do nothing, 1.55v gives same voltage as 1.45v, so you can only use 1.40, 1.425, 1.45, im sure you can use lower than 1.4 but i didn't mess with them, of course your exact voltages will vary

1.4v set in bios reads ~1.36v
1.425v set in bios reads ~1.39v
1.45v set in biose reads ~1.42v

3.3% + 1.4v in bios reads ~1.42v
3.3% + 1.425 set in bios reads ~1.44
3.3% + 1.45v set in bios reads ~1.47

5% + 1.4v set in bios reads ~1.46v
5% + 1.425v set in bios reads ~1.49v
5% + 1.45v set in bios reads ~1.52v

8.3% + 1.4v set in bios reads ~1.52v
8.3% + 1.425v set in bios reads ~1.55v
8.3% + 1.45v set in bios reads ~1.58v

10% + 1.4v set in bios reads ~1.58v
10% + 1.425v set in bios reads ~1.61v
10% + 1.45v set in bios reads ~1.64v

Yes, I've noticed the same thing. My actual readings differ a bit from yours, but I've only been fooling around with it for a week and haven't tried too many settings. It's a very good board with a poorly laid out Bios. My last Asus board was much more straight forward. You need to be a Philadelphia lawyer to figure out their confusing terminolgy.

interesting - i havent tired lower voltages plus 10%....

right now im at 1.55 + 10% and cpuz reads 1.6v .......going to reboot and try 1.45+10%

well i just made the changes and now cpuz reads 1.584~1.6 where as before it was 1.6~1.616

bobmanfoo: i would just use the 1.36 bios if you want higher vcore options - it is the only bios where i can get higher than 1.6vcore...

currently running 1.55+13% = 1.648

This problem must only occur with Winnie's, as my Neo2 w/ Fx-55 is rock solid with voltage. With the 1.36b BIOS, I can feed 1.9v, which is an actual 1.88v.

MSI is supposed to be working on a BIOS update, so hopefully you guys will have a better solution soon.

I noticed the same thing. Like you I just tried everything till I got the vcore I was looking for. I have not tried the 1.36 bios yet, were you usig the 1.4 in your sig for these tests.

darknight: ya i was using the 1.4 bios - all of the bios' that only go up to +10% will top out at 1.6vcore on the winny.....

and the only bios that goes past +10% is the 1.36 - it goes up to +18%...

yes i've tried the other beta bioses, but chose the 1.4 bios, i won't use the anymore than ~ 1.65v vcore as my cpu doesn't respond to anything above that so i dont need the extra %'s

I got nothing but heat over 1.6 volts. I'm still using my khx bh5 left over from my barton system. I have 1 gig of ocz 3700 gold at the post office waiting for pickup which I hope will help. I will give the 1.4 a try after I get those installed.

This is going to sound odd, but yesterday I had to reset my cmos (what a pain in the rear!) and when I re-entered the Bios the default vcore was 1.5v which gave a reading of 1.4v in the Bios. (Also in Speed Fan and in MBM after booting) Why would MSI do this? My Bios is the latest 1.4. Pretty strange if you ask me. (All right nobody did, but it still strange)

arctic-k20 said:
bobmanfoo: i would just use the 1.36 bios if you want higher vcore options - it is the only bios where i can get higher than 1.6vcore...

currently running 1.55+13% = 1.648

Arctic: do you mean Beta bios like 1.41M doesn't work even though the option of above 10% Vcore increase are there?

Nuclear_Fuzion said:
This problem must only occur with Winnie's, as my Neo2 w/ Fx-55 is rock solid with voltage. With the 1.36b BIOS, I can feed 1.9v, which is an actual 1.88v.

MSI is supposed to be working on a BIOS update, so hopefully you guys will have a better solution soon.

Where is this bios to be found?

I think this thread should be made a sticky; it really saved me a lot of confusion when I first got my neo2, and it seems to be the same for everyone...

And I see the question asked a lot around here "my voltage settings dont work over 1.45"

Yeah, I found it quite annoyingly odd as to why the 1.50v and 1.55v settings (when I tried them) didn't work.

i agree that some sort of a sticky should be made up for this issue. lot's of new board owners (including myself) can get confused and maybe even worried over something stupid like this.

Shuzzy, once you get the PDP Patriot XBL we will have identical systems (neo2, 3000 winnie, the ram, video). =)

What are you running to it right now? What voltage is your cpu at to achieve 2.6ghz? What stepping?

Where do you get the 1.36b bios? I would like to try the higher volages.. I can hit 1.7 but can't do much with it before it locks up.. I think if I could get a little more volts feed into it I might be ok.. I've tried everything and speedfan shows my vcore topped out at about 1.61-1.62 no matter what I try. Also I'm running the 1.51b bios.

Back