• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BC|Wulf

I am in the process of building my new system listed below, and got wondering about my memory timings. Since it is PC-4000 with timings of 3-4-4-8, would I be able to lower those timings if I am not running the FSB very high?

Thanks

that particular set is probably hynix chips. they usually run like 2.3.3.6 up to about 220/225 mhz .so as u go up u have to really loosen up the latencies.btw pqi offers another set (pc4000)that runs better latencies at 250 mhz they are using the tccd chips on that stuff..

Thanks for the input. Once I get ready to start overclocking my new baby, I will tighten up the memory timmings.

Well I decided to keep the ram at 3-4-4-8. I overclocked up to 220x10 last night and decided to Prime to see what my temps did and if I stayed stable. I accidently picked the blend test and it failed in less than a minute. I retried it with the Small FFT setting and was stable for 12 hours with no errors or warnings.

Is Prime a good test for the ram or is there another program that is better. I am kind of concerned as I have PC-4000 and should be no where near a timming issue with my memory at 440mhz.

Thanks in advance!

I decided to download memtest86 and it locked up on test 5. So I rebooted and backed off the FSB by 2mhz. Memtest finished just fine that time. SO I jacked the fsb back up to 220mhz and increased my CPU voltage to 1.5 from 1.45. Memtest passed again no problem, and so did Prime95 in the blend test mode.

One things confuses me. Why would the cpu voltage have any bearing on the memory failing the test? Is it bad information coming from the cpu that is doing it?

Back